Who's Jean? I really don't know. What I do know is; she lived on my street, raised in my neighborhood, fell in love with a guy named Wellman in the 50's, married him... lost a child and lived all alone for quiet sometime after she had lost her beloved Wellman.
Autumn and I went to her estate sale today. Broke my heart that her wedding album and many of her photo albums were for sale for $4 each. No family left to care that these precious memories of this lovely lady were being sold to strangers... I quickly grabbed up her wedding album and her vacation album. Autumn purchased a few others. With taking care of my mom right now this really touched me and felt that I just had to buy these albums. We love these photos, and somehow feel connected with Jean. I will treasure your memories Jean and honor your life. Somehow, I hope you'll be happy with Autumn and I as the keeper of your memories.
Wedding snapshots...
She saved Wellman's boutonniere, small snips of her wedding gown fabric and lace, a couple of honeymoon souvenirs and the first mail addressed to her as a married lady. She was happy as could be and madly in love.
Keepsakes, a written account of how they met and and their courtship.
He had asked her to "go steady" on the Capital lawn.
Wonderful summer vacation photos...
a mousey dish that belonged to Jean. I also picked up some other goodies.
although summer is not officially here, I decide to decorate the mantle with a summer vacation theme and honor Jean with a garland of my favorite vacation snapshots from her album.




6 comments:
As a genealogist, it makes me sad to think she has no family left. I know that when I found a box full of photographs that my ex-husband's grandfather had taken during WWII when he was serving in Germany, I organized them and started reuniting them with family. (Thank goodness my ex's grandfather had the foresight to write the names of the men on the backs of the photographs!) I've been at it for many years now.
Thank you for buying Jean's photos and keepsakes, and keeping her memory alive. I think that is a beautiful thing to do.
Awww... Thanks Wendy. I just had too:)
As to you sending back the WWII photos, beautiful!
This really tugs at my heartstrings to know she had no family to treasure her things. Just seems so sad to me. I am so glad you and Autumn bought some of her very meaningful treasures and that she will not be forgotten. ♥
Oh my gosh! This brought tears to my eyes! That was so thoughtful of you! How sad to think they were being sold... I am so glad they are under such great care now! There are many more in the area that are in the same situation - living alone no other family, I hope they are as lucky as Jean and Wellman to find someone like you. That was just as you said, very touching.
Oh, this really tugged on my heartstrings. I'm also glad Jean has you to be the keeper of some of her most cherished memories.
Little mousey reminds me of Beatrix Potter. So sweet.
Post a Comment