We finally got around to making our Root Beer today. After splashing the kitchen with sticky root beer we managed to get some in the bottles. The whole house smells like root beer! Noah has wanted to make root beer since the beginning of the school year. When he was studying about the Civil War and the Colonist. I found a root beet making kit called Mr. Rootbeer. A few weeks ago after sanitizing the utensils and the bottles, I realised that Mr. Rootbeer forgot to pack the flavor crystals in the kit....After a few phone calls and a few weeks of waiting... the crystals and some more sanitizer arrived in the mail.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sanitizing is a very important step in making the root beer.
Filling the bottles.
Capping the bottles tightly.
Now we place them in a dark place and check them everyday to see if the bottles are firm to the touch, then pop them in the fridge and hopefully we will have some yummy root beer. Fingers crossed. Noah wants to label the root beer XXX ?

12 comments:
How cool!!! I LOVE root beer! You'll have to fill us in on how it turns out.
Molly
Yummmmm.. we would love to join you Noah... and Anet.. great project.. It's been a lonnnnngggg time since I made root beer..
How fun! Homemade root beer with homemade ice cream may make the best ice cream float ever!
what a fantastic name...XXX...so many meanings...giggle :)
...firm to the touch...how will you know what that feels like with glass bottles? just curious. this would be a fun project to do with my guys...maybe over spring break...
again another inspiring post!
Oh, you are smart. My husband has been wanting to make it using roots and home dehydrated plant materials. Seems a bit 'too much' for me! Hee. A kit looks just right!
Noah has the best school ever! Let us know how it tastes!
Hi Molly, I'll be sure to let you know:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Gwen, I remember making root beer with my dad... I didn't like the way it tasted but my brother did.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Lisa Anne, Mmmm... that sounds really good! You make the ice cream and we'll bring the root beer:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HI Tiff, The bottles are plastic, they do look like glass;)
I had to laugh at Noah, I don't know where he learned about XXX, maybe from a cartoon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Denise, I bet the way your husband wants to make it would make great tasting root beer!
The kit was great, kid friendly!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Tara, we'll keep you posted:)
My husband would love a bottle of that!! Making homemade rootbeer, how fun for Noah.
Don tried making root beer in his class one year, but it didn't get bubbly. I hope yours works!
Ours has done the same Ruth. Taste like flat root beer. Yuck!
Caleb drinks it so at least it's not going to waste.
Hey, I wonder what's up with that.
Did your rootbeer kit use yeast? Alex makes it often, but he uses yeast. He says many of the kits don't use yeast and that's why the rootbeer goes flat. You can also get cabonation kits, but he's the one to ask, I'll see if I can get him to drop by.
Post a Comment