Thursday, May 14, 2009

Owl Pellet Dissection

We finally got around to dissecting an owl pellet (vomit) today.

There were many bones, a skull with tiny weeny teeth, fur and a few seeds.

Our owl friend had himself a delicious rodent according to our ID sheet. (Thanks Tammy!)

Note to self: Future dissections should be preformed before lunch!

9 comments:

sandy said...

Wow, how interesting and yucky at the same time. I'm so behind reading in blog world.

Tara said...

Wow, the bones are bigger than I expected!

I've been wanting to do this with Tess (I think?) but we haven't gotten around to it yet. We saw an owl pellet dissection kit at the Nature Conservancy gift shop for $24.99, but Jeff told me he sees real owl pellets all the time on his route at work and would be happy to bring one home for us!

Tammy said...

I was amazed at how much comes from one pellet! We really enjoyed doing ours, though it WAS kinda gross. :)

tiff said...

AWESOME...and I agree maybe between lunch and dinner...or between the time you have your first cup of coffee and lunch...

You guys are so cool! I just love all that you do with Noah!

Anet said...

Hi Sandy,
Don't feel bad, I'm behind on blogs and housework!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Tara,
The bones are really tiny.
That's a zoomed in photo, makes them look bigger than they are. I was amazed at how many we found.

That's a lot of cash for some puke!
Noah got his free from his homeschool science lab today. They dissected a frog on a computer. He was a tad disappointed that it wasn't a real dissection. I was kind of glad:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Tammy,
I was fascinated and grossed out at the same time. L0L!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Tiff, Thanks:)
Yeah, I had a bit of any upset stomach after digging threw owl puke. Oh... the things I do for homeschooling!

Anne said...

WOW!....


Did it stink?

Ruth said...

Look at all those bones! Don's 3rd graders just did this! He could take a photo of what they did next: first they organize the bones by type. Then they get a black card (5"x8") so they can reconstruct the animal skeleton as best they can and glue them on the card. Or they do a row of bone types - skulls, legs, etc.

Anet said...

Hi Anne,
There was no smell, thank goodness!
It's kind of like a dried up hair ball from a cat. Sort of:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Ruth,
Oh so cool, I have the prefect black cards to glue the bones to.
Thanks for the idea:)
I'm always happy to hear we are on track with Don's 3rd graders:)

Lisa said...

this is one of our favorite things to do! icky and cool!

Blog Archive