It's a story of a 12 year old boy named Matt who is left to protect the family homestead that he and his father built together. Now his father has to leave for a few months to retrieve the rest of Matt's family. He's all alone in the wilderness of Maine.
Today we made oiled paper, just like the paper that Matt's father promised to use when putting a window in the cabin when he returns.
The top paper is oiled, the bottom one is not. See the difference in the light that passes through?
Also Noah will be notching a calendar stick for the month of April. Just like the sticks that Matt's father told him to make. To keep track of the weeks that he would be gone.Noah's calendar stick. April 2nd. 2009
I have other activities planned as we journey through this story together.




11 comments:
I have this book in my "to read" folder for school. I've heard such good things about it. I love the thoughtful activities you provide for Noah.
Hey... aren't you on Spring Break? ;-)
This is a good book, Amelia loves all the books written by this woman. She just picked this up at the library this week to read again. These are great activities to go along with this book.
Hi Tara, Thank you!
Yeah, I am but Noah was bored and wanted to do something/history. So this is what we came up with. We've had a really slow & easy week:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Lisa Anne:) Amelia is such a great reader!
I cannot comment on the book as I don't have access to it here, however the story sounds exciting, especially for a child; I also wanted to say , what a caring , dedicated Mum you are, you should be proud of yourself!
Oooh I like this! Love the idea of notching the stick.
Noah's wanting to learn during spring break reminds me of Katie wanting to learn during Christmas break for us. It IS kind of boring to decide you don't want to learn something for a certain amount of time, lol.
My 2 older girls enjoyed reading this book when they were about Noah's age too...
Oh, one question. What is the purpose of oiled paper? I've heard of it before and always wondered.
Thank you Delphine, that's very sweet:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Sarah, Thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tammy, I've been trying to get Noah to understand there is really no "start or stop" to learning. We don't need to watch a calendar or a clock.
Glass was hard to come by back then. (1760's) Especially in the wilderness. So if they wanted windows to let in light during the day but not the bugs. They put in oiled paper. Oiling it makes it more opaque. They used shutters on the outside of the cabin to close up the windows so the paper didn't get wet in the rain. (Noah wondered about that.)
Oh, that is so cool. We have read other books by her, but not that one. Going to see if the library has it now!
Never heard/read the book but I bet Noah is having fun.
I love how you are using this book to teach your kids... I know my daughter would love to do a calendar stick... perhaps we'll try.
I have just found your blog, it is lovely, I will be returning often...
Post a Comment