Noah made a sun dial in our nature circle. We started the dial pointing North and at noon. We will mark the shadow on each hour. He has been reading a lot of books on Ancient Rome. So a sun dial fit in prefect with both subjects.
We also made some sun shot photos on special solar paper. We visited a few online solar sites to read up on the sun. 
We went back outside to build a solar marshmallow roaster. It's easily made with an oatmeal container... of course I didn't have one so we used a coffee can. Line with tin foil and use a skewer to hold the marshmallows or hot dogs.
Hope you're having a sunny day!




10 comments:
I love the marshmallow roaster. How long does it take the marshmallow to actually roast? Does it turn brown, or just get gooey?
This post brings back fond memories of the summer my brother got his magnifying glass. We were like a pair of pyromaniacs! Enjoy your unit. I hope you'll find time to include napping under the sun in a hammock as one of your official activities. :-)
Hi Tara,
It wasn't very warm today. So the marshmallows just got warm and gooey, the outside was a little crispy but didn't turn brown or anything.
I made a solar hot dog cooker with Autumn when she was little and it worked really well, much hotter day though.
Yeah... the magnifying glass was his favorite solar activity of the day. I'm hoping he'll not turn into a pyro! YIKES!!!
This is all great. I love the idea of a marshmallow roaster, lol! Learning through fun is the best way to learn. :)
wow...now that is a fun sunny day! i love the homemade marshmallow cooker...so fun!
this is a happy post and makes me want to play and explore in the sunshiney skies!!!
what a great day of learning for Noah!
i love the ideas. i hope to use them during the summer for sure. thank you!
What fabulous ideas Anet! So much fun. Love them, and Im inspired to try these with my little girl. If the sun bothers to show up at any point soon that is...
Hi Tammy,
I agree, learning can be fun and interesting:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tiff, We needed a hotter sun for the marshmallow. Oh well, they were warm and gooey:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Homemomma, Thanks for stopping in:) You're always welcome to try any of our projects!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi DocWitch,
Thank you:) The burning leaves with the magnify glass was too much fun!
Marshmallows are yummy any whichway! That just got me anxious to go camping! (in the backyard) Maya's bugcatcher has this huge magnifying glass as a lid, I'm always making sure its not left out in the sun, yikes.
VERY COOL activities for the sun! I love the sundial, yours is the second one I've seen this week, I think we will have to set one up. Would be great while learning about time.
Sweet!
Sounds like we just found some Summer fun learning activities.
Thanks Anet.
Post a Comment