~~~~~~~~The Yule Battle for the Throne ~~~~~~~~
The Holly King symbolizes the dark, cold winter and the Oak King represents the warm summer to come and the return of the sun. A battle goes on between these two kings when the Holly King refuses to give up his throne. The two fight, the Holly king is slain and the Oak King is victorious. He takes his place on the throne and with his rule the Earth prepares itself to reawaken in the spring. Days will grow longer and nights grow shorter.
Don't worry too much about the Holly King he doesn't stay slain, he just goes into rest and rises again to battle the Oak King on the Summer Solstice and takes over for the rest of the year. It's all part of the circle, part of the wheel. The Holly King and the Oak King are twins, one without the other wouldn't exist.
~~~The Yule battle Puppet show by Noah~~~
Oak King: "It's time to go old man!"
Holly King: "No, the earth is mine to rule and I shall battle you to the end!"
Oak King: "The throne shall be mine!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A long and dangerous battle is fought...the Oak King finally triumphs over the Holly King.
Oak King: "Now I shall rule the earth. Let there be light and warmth. Let the growing season begin!"
The Oak King takes his place on the throne.
Oak King: "Until the Summer Solstice Holly King, I bid thee farewell!"
Merry Yule Everyone!
Tonight we will light the candle in our Yule wreath and enjoy some goodies.






7 comments:
I'm with the Oak King... brrr, it's too cold out there! I'm ready for spring now, but I think I'll just need to find some patience! I hope you all have a wonderful celebration tonight. Merry Yule!
This is great...and Noah looks like he is having fun!
Hope you had a wonderful Winter Solstice!
This comment doesn't pertain to your post but I ran across this today and thought of you...LOL...http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2008/12/purple-squirrel-baffles-experts.html Have you seen it?
Merry Yule, Anet! You're so good, I haven't done a Yule post yet...unfortunately we're always so busy right about now.
So lovely to know another family who remembers the Oak and Holly Kings!
Yes Tara, it takes the Oak King a few months to turn things around:) Patience is needed:
Enjoy the winter!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Tiff, Enjoy your time off from school!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for the link Jennifer, I have never seen this before.
I knew somewhere there must be a real purple squirrel! So funny!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Merry Yule to you too Amy!
Noah has been having fun learning all about Yule. Me too!
Cute....Have a great Christmas... Noah looks like he is having fun with Oak King.
Yay! What an exciting play!
Belated happy yule and solstice
Post a Comment