Monday, April 11, 2011

Pysanky Egg Class

 Sunday my friends Ann, Hanlie and myself took a Pysanky Egg class at the library. It was taught by our other dear friend Jozefa (all homeschooling mamas.) Jozefa is a wonderful artist and she had self taught herself the art of Pysanky Eggs years ago. She sells them now at art fairs and they are just amazing!


Jozefa referred to these eggs as her "crappy ones," we had to laugh at that! I would be so talented as to make these crappy eggs:)

The tool to apply the wax is called a kistka.

We had such a great time learning how to make Pysanky Eggs. It's very relaxing and therapeutic. I think the flickering candle has a calming effect.  Layering color and wax, color and wax. I had to really wrap my mind around the concept of one step at a time. Jozefa is a wonderful teacher.
Unfortunately my camera died and I didn't get a picture of my friends finished eggs, bummer... cause I really wanted to show you how great their eggs turned out.  

 Here's my egg... blurry and all. (believe me... it looks all blurry in real life too!) hey, I tried.

One side has what should be a chicken (?) or perhaps a quail and on the other side I decided to put a whimsical purple squirrel, a tribute to my beloved blog and our homeschool.
I also added some Pysanky symbols along the sides. Such as the star that means: eternal life and good fortune, a spiral that means: divinity or immortality (and to me it means my sweet friend Tara:) pine needles that mean: eternal youth and health, dots that represent stars in heaven and from sorrow comes unexpected blessings. I love the symbolisms:) oh yes... there are tiny hearts for love.

So now we're thinking we should check out The Polish Art Center and order some Pysanky Egg kits and keep at it. In about ten years my eggs might look as good as Jozefa's crappy ones:)


6 comments:

Tammy said...

Anet, these are REALLY pretty! And so creative!

Tara said...

All of them are beautiful! I love the vibe of your egg, Anet –- there's something almost Middle Eastern about it. The spiral's pretty cool too!
Who cares if it takes you 20 years to get your eggs where you want them? At least you'll have fun and be relaxed along the way. (Although I think you are being too hard on yourself...)

tiff said...

i am super impressed...what a fun craft to partake in! candle light is always a great way to relax. i love your eggs...you are so creative and adventuresome!!!

Crescent Moon said...

Those are gorgeous!

Ann said...

We had so much fun. Hanlie and I have decided it is a justifiable girl scout expense and plan to order some items, hopefully tomorrow. Then you can come help teach our girls how to do it!

Anet said...

Thanks Tammy:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Tara, Now that you mention it...it does have a Middle Eastern flavor to it:) I think it may be the colors I chose. Which I love!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well thanks Tiff... you're pretty easy to impress. LOL!

~~~~~~~

Thank you much, Crescent Moon:)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ann,
That sounds great, the girls will really enjoy this.
I'd be happy to help:)

Blog Archive