Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Goonens

Goonens/Snowflakes, (Ojibwe)
A snowflake viewed through a microscope with look like carved glass.

Zoogponniinh/Snowman, (Ojibwe)

Did you know that snowflakes are clear?

When the snowflakes pile up, the light is reflected from the tiny surfaces and edges of the ice crystals. The sum of the countless reflections make your snowman look white. When we look at a snowflake with our just our eyes the bright edges of the crystal blur together making it look white on your mitten.

Snow crystals are much like salt and sugar crystals. They are clear also until you pile them up. Check it out!

4 comments:

Tara said...

Love your vintage zoogponniinh.

(How do you pronounce that?!)

Seems like you and Noah are having a great time with this unit. Way to go!

Anet said...

I've have never heard this word pronounced in all our studies so I'm just guessing here...
I do know that a double ii is pronounced as a long e...
Here's my best guess zoog-pon-neen

Chele said...

Your snowflake study looks like so much fun! Think I'm gonna get that book. Thanks for the inspitation! So far we have only gotten a light dusting in our neck of the woods, but the snow should be here soon...

Anet said...

Chele,

It's a really a great book. I think your son will enjoy it.

Blog Archive