Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mindful Listening, a Mindful Mom...

Reiki principles

This summer I've been working on some different things, just for myself. A little homeschooling for mom. One is a home study Reiki course. Which has been amazing. I've found that you can get a Reiki attunement on YouTube. Crazy, but it works!

Another is meditation and part of it is mindful listening. I will sit on the porch swing in the morning, close my eyes and steady my breathing... then I start listening. All I focus on is what I'm hearing at the moment. It's truly amazing what you can hear and how far your hearing can reach. The different birds, my favorite morning dove, the katydids, the crickets, a far off dog barking, the breeze in the leaves... oh, someone just past by on a bike, the worst sounds are the annoying passing cars. I quickly let them pass by. It really tunes me into the world and is very relaxing.

It's suppose to make you a better listener to your family and friends. Many times I've tuned Noah out when he's rambling happily along about some crazy far off world in his imagination that he loves to tell me about. I'll give an occasionally "uh, huh" or a "yeah." but I wasn't really listening whole heartily. My mind would wander all over the place. I will try to really listen and journey to these wonderful far off lands with Noah from now on. His imagination is really amazing... I must listen.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is so great that you can still try to learn things yourself - I love that! That is why you are such a great teacher!

It reminds me of the book "How to talk so kids will listen & listen so kids will talk" book. Listening is so important - Thanks for reminding me. :)

Tara said...

This is a beautiful post. Thank you.

Tammy said...

Again, thank you for some words and advice I can really think about today.

Anet said...

Tammy,
I love the Reiki principles.
I've written them out and hung them in my kitchen where I see them every morning...
Visual learner here:)

Blog Archive