For my Michigan homeschool friends. A few fun links to learn about Native Americans (the Ojibwa and the Oneida,) the French and fur trading, the British and the Straits of Mackinac.
An interactive site for the kids with games, music and fun.
Wonderful lesson plans with reading, music, puzzles,
games, quizzes, time lines, vocabulary words,
art projects and teacher guides.
Mackinac Mobile from the lesson plans.
~~~~~~~~~~~
We've switched vacation plans for this September. We've decided not to go to Gettysburg this year... Autumn can't come along, money, time, etc... We'll go next year.
So we've rented a wonderful cottage right on Lake Huron close to Mackinaw City. With our own private beach front of sugar sand... bonfires on the beach, a creek just up the beach, a waterfall to play in close by. We'll be going to some forts and a mill. Hopefully make it to Mackinac Island and grandma is coming along to relax on the deck and watch the freighters pass by.
Noah will be studying all about the forts and history of the straits this summer before our trip.
( some native words you'll notice that they are spelled differently some times. Mackinac/Mackinaw It's pronounced "Mack-a-naw" all the same meaning, another is Ojibwe and Ojibwa. )
( some native words you'll notice that they are spelled differently some times. Mackinac/Mackinaw It's pronounced "Mack-a-naw" all the same meaning, another is Ojibwe and Ojibwa. )
A new little friend, different from the other squirrels.




5 comments:
Wow. That sounds like so much fun. I've lived in michigan almost all my life and I haven't made it to Mackinaw yet. Once my youngest is no longer at the run off a cliff stage of life, I have many plans though. Have fun!
Also, I'm enjoying the Ojibwe words. I'm not native myself, but I appreciate learning about the people who have lived here.
What a fabulous way to learn! So fun to vacation and educate! Your switch up of vacations sounds lovely! RElaxing!
I hope you get out to the island...we have a book all about the island...it has beautiful illustrations and a lovely sentiment...i will have to dig it out of our book boxes~still no book shelves yet!
Megwetch~ Thank you dandelionlady!
It's a good plan to wait until your son is a little older, he'll appreciate it more and you'll be more relaxed and enjoy the trip. But you should definitely go, it's wonderful!
That's why we never camped until the kids were older... they're energy levels in a tent? no way!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tiff,
I love that book!
I'm surprised you own it, awesome!
Well, just because it's about an Island in Michigan:) Not that you wouldn't own wonderful books... cause I know you do!
hee :) you made me smile Anet & giggle out loud...yeah...we own just a few wonderful books...being that children's books are my addiction! i believe we got it in a book swap from someone that lives in Michigan...I just love it! :)
Your plans sound great...
Post a Comment