Saturday, June 5, 2010

Driving my car?

Photo by Autumn

Caleb finally took his driver's test.

We went Thursday to the dreaded Secretary of State office and waited for a hour and forty some minutes. Ugh! Finally number 46 is called. We walk up to the counter and the lady takes Caleb's papers. All in order, good! Then she makes Caleb take an eye test. Someone forgot his glasses and failed the eye test. She wouldn't let him take the written test. Darn it!

We return Friday with this nifty pink pass that allowed us to go straight to the front of the line.
I could feel all the evil looks burning a hole in my back from the poor saps waiting for hours in the blue chairs. ("Hey, I did my time yesterday!") I shout in my mind.
With glasses on his face, he passes the eye test with no problem. He takes the written test in the glassed in room while I wait with the other poor saps.
He emerges with a confident smile on his face and I rejoin him in line.
The lady takes his test and begins to grade it. My fingers begin to clench as she circles the first three questions wrong! I say a quick prayer to the Great Father, "Please let this kid pass!"
The rest of that page was correct, I loosen my grip a little. The next page she circles two more wrong... ("Oh, God that's five wrong and three more pages to go!")
I wasn't even sure how many a person could get wrong and still pass... In my mind, I keep hearing Caleb tell me "It's just common sense, Mom" When I would tell him to study the guide more. "Yes, common sense Caleb!"

The next three pages went by in a fog. Holding my breath... whew! All correct. Okay that's five wrong total, I'm thinking to myself. He'll never pass this.
The lady shuffled papers about on the counter, as I was trying to read her face.
She said nothing for a few seconds. She looks at me with a somber look on her face and my heart sunk. "Well, he passed." she says. I breathe a sigh of relief, Caleb's face lit up with a big smile.
I didn't even want to know the number of wrong answers it takes to fail. We quickly gathered his permit and got the heck out of there.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

ROFLOL...this reminds me of when Emily took her written test. I'm just glad I was NO WHERE IN THE VICINITY when she took the driving portion of the test.

Tara said...

Driving is about a year away for us so I read this post and wonder if I'll be in a similar situation soon. On one hand I'm looking forward to the kiddo being able to drive herself around... on the other hand I can't believe this time is coming already.
Be safe, Caleb!

Anonymous said...

Aw! Congratulations to Caleb! And what a nerve-wracking experience for you both. Well, practice makes perfect, Caleb, so be safe, keep your eyes open, and take your time!

Lisa said...

Congrats Caleb! With driving comes freedom and responsibility.
Anet, is that your car? I love it!!!
have a great week
lisa

Anet said...

Ugh! Blogger's being weird today,

Anyways... thanks for all the safe wishes everyone, we'll need them:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lisa,
I wish that was my car!
It's the only pic I had of a car. It belongs to Kevin and Autumn.
It's a 1970 Citroen, a really cute car!

Blog Archive