Thursday, June 24, 2010

Life is a bowl full of Cherries...

Did you know Northwestern Michigan claims to be the Cherry capital of the world? There is a huge Cherry festival in July, with the biggest cherry pie you'd ever lay eyes on!
I have been buying loads of cherries lately and just snacking on them.
I should make some preserves with them. I've brought up all my canning jars from the basement and washed them up.

Brad and I are going to pick raspberries (when it's not storming or hot as heck out) soon I hope to make raspberry jam. My mom's favorite. One year my mom and I canned peaches... Oh my gosh, they were like jars of gold all winter, so good! We've also canned loads of tomatoes.
My mom is getting too old to can, it's hard work.
Someday I hope to teach Autumn how to can, hopefully it won't become a lost art.
My mom's methods are pretty old fashion though. Like she's trying to convince me to use Epsom salts in the jam..."that's how my mom and grandmother used to do it and no one ever died!" She says. Yeah, but it's not the stone age anymore:)

My tomato plants are doing well with a few small green tomatoes and lots of blossoms. The zucchinis and the summer squash are also doing very well. This year I did container gardens, I just didn't have the energy for tilling up the ground, I was a little concerned how the plants would do but they are doing great so far... I just need to keep an eye on the soil moister a bit more.
I'll be freezing the squash and zucchini in slices for side dishes and shredded zucchini to use in zucchini bread... yum! Plus eating lots of fresh veggies this summer:)
What's growing in your garden and are you planning on canning or freezing this year?

Trying to get my mind on something other than my cat worries.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh I love canning, and my daughters do too...especially Katie. We are growing cabbages, carrots, loads and loads of onions and tomatoes, zucchini, several peppers, cucumbers, jalapenos, spinach, and peas. We don't have anything but blossoms yet on anything, though.

Tara said...

Two years ago I chopped and sweated and lugged and boiled jars and jars of jelly, jam and applesauce and... no one but me ate them! So this year I am only canning tomatoes. I use canned tomatoes all the time and home-canned are SO much healthier. We are growing herbs, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, pumpkins, potatoes, strawberries, peppers and broccoli. Whew -- I didn't realize how much we had planted until I listed it all out...

Anet said...

Wow Tammy you have some garden, that's wonderful! I hope you have an amazing harvest this year! And happy canning:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah Tara, I had no idea you had such a big garden!
I should try butternut and spaghetti squashes next year. Yum...
I've tried pumpkins for three years in a row.
I'd get a long vine with lovely blossoms and the one day... it just withers up and dies. So I give up!
Anyways, our city backyard is pretty small. We had a 8ft. wood fence put up and that cast a shaded area in half the yard. Ugh!
I'm kind of liking the container gardens this year... I can move them around when needed.

Hope you have a plentiful harvest this year!
I agree that homecanned tomatoes are SO much better than store canned. I can't believe no one else ate your jams and applesauce!

Data Cabling Tracy said...

Nice blog post.

Blog Archive