I'm also waiting on someone to arrive to do a blood draw on my mom. I really wish they would hurry so I can get her breakfast and meds for her.
She's been have trouble with some dementia and really bad hand tremors. We've had small moments here and there of the dementia, but lately we've had long days of it. It's so sad and scary, it's really all new to us.
As of now we have to have someone here with her at all times. Autumn is coming on the mornings that I work for the rest of this school year and then I'm most likely not returning to work next year. Caleb is helping out when Noah has homeschool activities and Brad will help when he can. I'm taking her to the Doctor's tomorrow (which is a nerve wrecking ordeal in itself for me.) Just getting her out of the house is scary!
After that, I'm meeting with a social worker from the doctors office to find out what to do, so we can take the best care of her. I'm determined to keep her home with her family. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed with all that's on my plate... But then I stop, take a deep breath and feel grateful that I do have a full plate.




10 comments:
I'm so sorry you all have to deal with dementia, it is SO sad. My MIL has it, probably Alzheimer's, and is giving my FIL a real hard time(she's physically abusive). He is VERY ready to have her placed in a facility but won't take the final step of getting it arranged. They are both 82 and he's got some health problems of his own that she won't let him take care of. She won't even let him get his hair cut or take out the trash(ohmygosh its a mess). Anyway, I feel for you and have you in my prayers today!
Molly
First of all, love the photos of your house, the red glass in the window looking out to the snow, the mantle with your mom's painting, etc.
I have so much time on my hands these days, I sure wish I lived close and could help you out with shifts for your mom. I don't think I've read on your blog (I might have missed it), what your mom's age is or diagnosis, but I sure hope they can get her stabilized with the hand tremors and dementia.
Hope everything works out for you so you don't have to quit your job.
Thanks Molly,
It's just a terrible way to spend your finial days here on earth. Right now my mom is just as sweet as can be... a tad stubborn on taking her medicines. She is always telling me she's sorry, it breaks my heart.
She is 84 years old and has been such a great mom and grandmother. We're all here for her. But I must admit sometimes I'm just freaking out, like when she thought the trash can was a toilet, luckily I was right there to stop her. Holy smokes!
Thank you Sandy, so sweet of you. I've kept it pretty quiet about mom so far. I guess I was just hoping it would get better or just go away.
But it's time to face it and figure out what to do. I have a feeling life is going to be a challenge for a long time.
The first photo is such a peaceful one... Beautiful.
With your mother, I completely understand what you are going through, having been very involved when my grandmother was also dealing with dementia. She was finally placed in a (wonderful) nursing home close to my aunt, and later passed peacefully in hospice care.
It is good that your oldests can be there to help; family needs to be together when the going gets tough, and I wish you all the family support possible.
I love that photo of Noah! Binky does the exact same thing! Goose is in the middle of the last Harry Potter book as well. I have to constantly remind her not to tell me what happens!!
I am sorry to hear about your mom. But you are doing your best for her. It's wonderful that the whole family is involved. The kids will cherish these times in the future.
You are blessed to have your family near!!
hugs
Lisa
Hugs to you Anet. We are going through something similar here. As the closest kid (hour away) I'm on call for medical emergencies, food drops, etc. It's draining... we worry... they refuse to get adequate care or move. Your family is so blessed to have you. You are a wonderful daughter and homeschooling mama, a supportive, loving wife. Remember to take care of you too, okay?
Thank you dear friends! I'm so glad I have each one of you!!!
Autumn and I are taking mom to the doctors this afternoon. Wish us luck:)
Christiane, That's a long drive for you, bless your heart!
Anet...you are an amazing daughter. I can only imagine the challenges you are faced with day to day. What a strong sense of family you are modeling. You have such a great support system in place with your two older kiddo's picking up where you can't be. That is so incredibly awesome! I was surprised by this post too, as I guess I didn't know that your mama was living with you...but I can see how you were hoping things would get better..I appreciate your privacy for sure!
*****
On a side note...your photos of your home are absolutely beautiful. I heart the Home Sweet Home painted on your eave...that is a good reminder as you walk out your door or look out your window.
*****
be sure to take care of you! hugs!
Thanks Tiff, I just love you! Hehehe...
Yes, my mom has lived here with us for 5 years. She has her own mother-in-law's apartment in the back of our house.
It's worked out really well, she used to watch Noah while I worked and we could help her out when she needed it.
So she's right here with us and we are really blessed to have this house and mom.
Post a Comment