City Chickens...
I dream of chickens pecking happily in the back yard. I dream of collecting fresh brown speckled eggs. I dream of gentle sweet chickens.~I've done my homework for keeping urban chickens in our city. My neighbor has 4 hens of different colors, they are beautiful!
I'm allowed 5 hens (although I'd most likely have 3 to start.) Their coop must be 10 feet from properties lines and 40 feet from any neighboring dwelling. Their food must be stored so no rodents can get to it. We have a small back yard that has a six foot wooden fence all around it. Prefect for some hens.
Now to figure out chickens... I wouldn't know a hen from a rooster:)
also dreaming of raised vegetable beds and preserving food.
The boys are all for it, now to get Brad on board with the dream of our own little urban farm. That will be the hard part!




6 comments:
Woohoo! Roosters are the noisy things that (ahem) sit on you Chickens backs (when Amelia was four she asked me why the big chickens sit on the smaller ones). Go for it all! I bought Jerome the "Farm City" book you have in your side bar.
Oooh, city chicken-keeping! This is becoming more and more popular. I hope it all works out wonderfully.
Good luck to you, Anet! I can't wait to hear more about your farm.
We buy our eggs from farmers on the edge of our small town who often deliver them to our door – I am spoiled! On the other hand, our backyard is rapidly giving way to more and more garden space because no one likes how store vegetables taste anymore.
Chickens are awesome. I love seeing all of the different breeds at the Farm Fair. And fresh eggs are made of win!
My youngest has been begging for years to have chickens. He wants to join the local 4-H poultry club whose members primarily live in mcmansions in subdivisions. Though our township allows farm animals, our lease does not.
Kel
Oh, this will be so wonderful for you. We dearly loved having chickens in our back yard. :)
oh my goodness...rick and i have the same dream...our own little urban farm...it would be so fun, cool, hard, but good! i wish you luck on getting brad on board!
oh those beautiful chicken eggs...and the sweet chickens roaming your yard...now that would be pretty awesome!
Post a Comment