Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Harvest Moon/ Falling Leaves Moon/ Ojibiwa

October Moon/ Leaves Falling Moon:
Our Ojibiwa Heritage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October's great path of the moon is respect. For us, the new year begins now and not in January. This is a time of sleeping seeds and birds flying south for the winter. Leaves begin to fall; the sun turns pale in the sky. It is the Moon of Putting Away and the Moon of Remembering Old Names. Preparation begins for the coming winter.
We look for signs of whether it will be a hard winter: Do the clouds have long tails? Does the chipmunk work harder, storing food for winter? Does ice have an early voice? What does the raven say? Does the coyote change his song? Do our hearts stir with warning?

Now is the time to learn respect for all living things--even for those who are not your friends. Is there a voice from your past that you didn't pay attention to? Take time to mend broken connections. Find out why someone does not like you; respect that person even so. Respect starts on the simplest level.
Walk to the mountains where the first snow has already fallen. Notice that the stream has a collar of ice along the edges. Dry leaves move on the wind, sighing. Inside you, something calms down. Turn your face to the sun: For everything in the past, thank you. To the future, yes. Respect is a matter of equality, even in the worst of times.
Taken from "Dancing Moons" by Nancy Wood



We hope you won't miss the Harvest moon early this evening. It won't happen again until 2017!
We'll be going on a walk with the camera... and maybe have a bonfire to celebrate the new year!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Added photo: Okay, I've learned it's hard to take a good photo of the moon. At least for me it is.
Here's one of my spooky shots tonight.

5 comments:

~Molly~ said...

We have rain rain and more rain. Did I mention it was raining? I'm bummed that we missed the moon but last night it was plenty big(before the rain).

I am definitely going to take time to listen to a voice from the past. Every once in a while I dream of my mom's parents(my very favorite grands) and their home and them as old people. They are not clear dreams so I haven't been able to tell what I'm needing to know from them yet.

We haven't heard coyotes consistently in several months. A new housing project in their woods has probably got them too jumbled up. I did see a fox a few weeks ago. He was great big; almost the size of a coyote but dark dark grey.

I've been meaning to tell you that in my mom's geneaology search she's found a group of ancestors in North Carolina who spoke Cherokee! Our cousin had a dream that we were Tuscarora but that hasn't turned out to be the case. We don't know if they were Cherokee or just spoke the language. I'm willing to bet; based on my mom's dark skin and her dad's features; that they may have actually been Native American.

I hope you are having an awesome autumn!!

Molly with a broken comma *G*

Lisa said...

Anet, this is such a beautiful post and such a wonderful way to celebrate the moon and the new year. Happy new year to you and yours.

lisa

homemoma said...

what is harvest moon?

Lisa said...

i loved this harvest moon! it was so beautiful. your photo turned out great. it is such a wonderful time of year.
i hope all is well with you and yours!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

beautiful, fascinating, (and poetic!) post. And that's a fabbo photo of the moon you've taken there! I find it nearly impossible to take a good photie of the moon. Mine always look like silly, pale specks of nothing.

Blog Archive