This is serious business... to learn and experience all he can about the Civil War. Next weekend in the Civil War Muster in Jackson, MI. Then on Sept. 12th we are riding the Civil War train in at the Little River Railroad in Coldwater. We've stocked up on more Civil War books from the library. His favorite subject to start the year with!
He wants to be a reenactor someday. I'll help him pursue his dreams in any way I can. It's funny how certain things become passions for certain people. He really loves history in general.
He tells me he's thinking of become a college history professor and make documentaries.
Not bad:) umm... but what happened to running for President? That's okay, I would worry too much if he ever was President.
Now, I'm off to come up with some Civil War math and writing activities for next week. Have a great weekend!~
Worksheet update*
I wanted to share what I came up with for some Civil War math and activities. I find a on-line word search puzzle maker and type in some Civil War words to generate a puzzle, then I save it to Word Pad and add some Civil War clip art to it.Next I made up a Civil War math sheet using some fictional scenarios and some factual scenarios. Such as how many soldiers in a battle? Which I used reference books for the actual numbers. Then I added clip art to this.
Lastly I found a Civil War slang vocab list on-line and printed it out just for fun. This all took about a half hour to make. The possibilities are really endless. You can do this any subject that interest your child. I like to call in interest led homeschooling. I've done this for The Revolution, medieval times, Colonial times, Dragons and Harry Potter... whatever he's into at the moment. Actually we don't use many dittos in our homeschool, he's a hands-on kind of guy. But Noah likes these interest led ones.
Nincompoop notes: I noticed that I spelled the word soldiers wrong on the work sheets, Ugh! What a dope. I corrected and reprinted them before Noah will see them. He'd nail me on that one for sure! Teachers and moms make mistakes too:)




7 comments:
This is SO awesome! Exactly what homeschooling is about!
I hope this call of duty goes well... everyone stays safe... follows procedure... ;-)
Looking forward to a full report.
It's great when the kids are so excited about something! Noah would make a GREAT historical documentary maker! I have been doing the same with Goose and her Colonial America lesson. It really is amazing what you can find on the web! Can't to hear about it!
Lisa
How cool! I had no idea such a place existed. What an awesome way to further explore his interest in history.
Thanks Tara,
Noah had a great time. They played Capture the Flag, (he was on the Confederate side) they wrote letters home as if they were in the war and some other fun stuff. He came home with offical discharge papers:) Whew!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Lisa,
I didn't know Goose was doing Colonial America. Here's a fun kids page (in case you have come acrossed it) it's from Colonial Williamsburg
www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/kids/
Noah loves playing the games and doing the activities on the site.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Wendy
This is a historic mansion in our town. They have awesome kid camps. My twenty two year old daughter went to them when she was little:)
They now have a Hogwarts school and the Civil War camp. Noah loves it.
He's also taken a Native American camp there earlier this summer.
Oh yes, my daughter wants to have her wedding there....umm... I'm thinking next October. Fingers crossed!
i love Noah's passion...so cool that he is into the Civil War...well history for that matter! And what a good mama to help guide & support him in that direction!
And most DEFINITELY teachers & mama's make mistakes...oh so many!
Well how cool is that! I can picture Noah at Harry Potter Camp, but Civil War Camp has his name written ALL over it. What fun for him!
...love that he was sent home with his discharge papers. ;)
Thanks Tiff, that makes me feel better. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tammy,
Yes, I'm so glad they discharged him:) He made it home safely!
Post a Comment