Creature Feature: An American Dagger Moth, Peek-a-boo the black squirrel and Sniffy.
I rescued this American Dagger Moth caterpillar out of the pond yesterday. He was barely holding his head above water. I scooped him out and placed him in the flower bed on a nice green leaf in the sunshine to dry out. About a hour later my husband and I were sitting on the porch swing for our evening quiet-time together and here comes the caterpillar over the edge of the top step, across the porch and headed straight for us. So I scooped him up again and put him back down in the bed. I snapped this photo of him making his way back up on the porch for the second time.My husband said "Great, now we have squirrels and caterpillars bugging us on the porch!"
The squirrels sometimes get a little to close to our bare toes... they do look very much like peanuts you know.
This is what the caterpillar will look like after he meta morphs.... not so cute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is Peek-a-boo... Peeky for short. A female black squirrel that I've been feeding and getting to know all summer. She now comes to the door, peeks in the windows and takes peanuts by hand. She's a tad jumpy and fights with Sniffy. Because Sniffy thinks she's the Queen and well she is.~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And here is dear Old Sniffy, She's doing well in spite of a little grudge about Peeky moving in on her territory. She took a peanut for the road, climbed a pole and crossed the street via the wire. I prefer her to use this route then to dash out into the street with the speeding cars. Sniffy has one baby that stayed and lives in our tree still. The male squirrel Jasper. He's really cute and has a super long tail. He's finially figured out that he can get peanuts from the porch. He'll come up the steps and wait for me to toss one down to him. But Sniffy chases him away too. Bad momma!
Here's Sniffy and Peeky working out a peanut deal.





7 comments:
Too cute! My friend Theresa Hill mentioned your blog to me. The layout is amazing!
Oh wow, I didn't even know black squirrels existed! I love the photo of them sharing the peanuts. :)
I love posts about your squirrel friends. We are working on making a friend of our own (you inspired us!): Jumbo Peanut. He (?) won't take peanuts directly from us yet, but does come and stare until we open the door. Then he runs while we put the peanut back and returns when the coast is clear. Even that much is fun. :-)
Might want to stick to closed-toe shoes on the porch...
Peeky and Sniffy are adorable. Toes resemble peanuts... Yes, I could imagine that. Squirrel vision being about ground-level and all. Heh.
Heheh...I love the peanut stand-off. The black squirrel reminds me of a cuter, fluffier, er, squirrle version of Jack Palance in an old Western - showing up to stir up the locals...and steal the peanuts.
Hi Dandelion lady,
It's nice to meet you:)
I haven't heard from Theresa since they moved. I hope all is well with them. How's little Una, is that her name?
Tell them "Hello" from me.
I'm glad you popped in:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tammy,
Oh yes, the black squirrels are smaller than the brown ones. They are super skiddish too. They are cute little guys though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Tara,
That is awesome that you are making a squirrel friend!
Just keep talking to him, he'll get used to your voice and know you = peanuts.
I know Sniffy really doesn't give a squat about me... it's all about the peanuts. :(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HI Wendy,
Hey do they have squirrels in Korea? Hmmmm....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Docwitch,
Yes! that's exactly what it's like around here. They can make such a ruckus sometimes!
I've never seen a black squirrel like that. Love that caterpillar photo, what a colorful guy. Your blog colors look great by the way.
Post a Comment