Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Park Day with Homeschool friends

Columbia Creek
Noah had fun exploring the creek with friends at Monday's park day. It was a beautiful day.

They tried to catch some minnows... slippery little devils. Noah didn't care much for the crayfish, that's when I heard him scream, tough as nails that boy:)

A Rock Hopper waiting patiently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Civil War 1861 ~1865
It won't be long and we'll be back in Civil War mode. Noah has Civil War Camp coming up at The Dodge Turner House, then the Civil War Muster in Jackson and in Sept. we are riding a steam train were bandits will attack the train and Civil War soldiers on horseback will save the day. That should be an interesting train ride!

We found these great books at the library. Exploring History through Simple Recipes: Civil War Cooking, The Confederacy and The Union.
We are picking a few recipes from each book to make a Civil War dinner.
From the Confederacy Cook book; Sweet Potato Pudding and Sally Lunn Bread with Strawberry Jam.
From the Union Cook book; Irish Stew, Cherry Cobbles and Skillet Fried Apples.
We'll post about the dinner when we make it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the perfect summer afternoon – Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn kind of days. :-)
Can't wait to hear more about the train ride and Civil War dinner...

tiff said...

that park is beautiful and your photo's seem to capture the day!

the train dinner sounds like it will be a blast looking forward to hearing more about that!

sandy said...

wow, what a great day that must have been for the kids. Makes me want to go out on an adventure today..yup that's what I'm going to do.

Tammy said...

I just love his ongoing enthusiasm for the Civil War. It reminds me of Emily's love for turtles. We did turtle stuff for YEARS, lol.

Anet said...

Hi Tara,
I'm really excited myself about the train ride;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Tiff,
Oh not as fun as your fantastic adventures :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Sandy, this was Noah's first time to explore a creek. It was a different experience for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tammy, LOL~ Yes, I'm afraid we'll be study Civil War forever!

RunninL8 said...

That first pic is GORGEOUS!! You should see how it would look in black and white!
What a nice semi-still water to play in on a hot day. Many of our rivers are so fast and intense!

A Slice of the Pie said...

Hi Anet, just dropping by to catch up. These are awesome photos- I love the first one.

Kel

Wendy said...

Thanks for the invite. Your unschooling/homeschooling looks fun! Our school year begins in September. I look forward to reading about yours!

Blog Archive