Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dragon Eggs and Roman Helmets

Our day of homeschooling started out with a big 3rd. grade review quiz. Noah did very well!
Then we read the book How to Raise and Keep a Dragon.
Noah decided to create his very own dragon egg. He says we'll need a nest for it and it will take about a month to hatch. Then it's on to training the dragon to behave, I hope!

About a month ago we met a really nice elderly man named Dale at an antique mall. He was very taken with Noah. The two chatted about history for almost an hour! He was so impressed that a nine year old would love history so much that he asked me if he could send Noah some things in the mail. Noah has been on pins and needles waiting for the package. I wasn't 100% sure it would come. But Dale came through!

The first package arrived today. Noah was so excited! Not a really Roman helmet but one that used in a 1920's movie.
Still super cool!
He said in his note to Noah there would be more packages someday. What a sweet man!
Now to get Noah to write a thank you note to Dale!

9 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so cool that he has found such a friend. What a cool thing to get a package and to open it up and see an awesome helmet.

Very nice, Noah.

Tara said...

I'm glad Dale came through too. That is one seriously rockin' helmet. And I love that Noah knows a little bit about its previous life on a movie set. Heck, maybe he can even get Autumn to put him and his helmet in a movie of their own! A thank-you-note-worthy package if there ever was one!

homemoma said...

wow. i love the look when opening the package. it is so genuine. what a great surprise.

Sara said...

That is a great gift that Dale sent. What a special connection they must have made.

Shona Leah said...

wow now thats a helmet, this is such a great friendship story!

RunninL8 said...

WRITE THAT NOTE, KIDDO!!!!!!
How awesome is THAT?!?!? In a movie, no less!!! He must have been thrilled!!! What a wonderful man! So great that someone notices the INTELLIGENCE and vast POTENTIAL of a child rather than lumping them all together as "ugh. Kids these days....".
And very cool dragon egg! We have a huge rock in the back yard that is smooth and egg shaped that Lo likes to pretend was left by a dragon.
Covering a plastic easter egg with swirls of glue from a glue gun and then painting when dry makes for a neat-o dragon egg as well!

Ruth said...

OMG, what an amazing "artifact"! I want to go out and play dungeons and dragons now!

sandy said...

Wow.......that is wonderful!!! How fun for Noah to receive that, but also to never know when another surprise might arrive. What a generous man and he must have been so impressed. I love this.

Lisa said...

Oh, I love this story. I have a thing for older men myself...I mean OLDER in their 80's older. I always find ways to start up conversations with them; coming from a very introverted person this isn't easy. It is so worth it I have heard some wonderful stories.

What a great man you have both met.

Lisa :)

Blog Archive