Sunday, April 26, 2009

Our Weekend...

Lovely shades of brown !

Table on the front porch. I made eggs salad with the brown chicken eggs:)

Our weekend was basically hunkering down on Saturday. Storms moved in during the early afternoon and we were without power for 3 hours...the quiet was heaven sent! It's a rare moment in time when there is silence in my house during the day. We brought out the Brain Quest trivia cards and read some books.

New look for an 90 year old door.
I had stopped in Joann's Fabrics earlier in the day and found this faux stain glass kit. It's peel and stick, so easy! I bought the main design with the little four corners and a spool of faux lead lines to connect them all together. It was half off, the entire window cost $14. It really looks like stain glass, I was very pleased with it:)
Ready for hiking!

We've been putting together a hiking kit for Noah. I still need to find a good whistle for it. In case he gets lost. He knows to hug a tree, stay calm and blow your whistle!
We made a first aid kit out of an Altoids tin. Inside the lid I wrote out instructions just in case he ever gets separated from us...God forbid! So he can refer to it in case he forgets. I also wrote; Stay Calm, We WILL find you, We LOVE you!
He has wildlife guides, a journal with markers, magnify glass with built in tweezers for bug viewing. A compass, binoculars, a digital camera, a canteen, a bug net, mosquito protection. Of course we will add snacks when we hike.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

The whistle is a great idea, I need to include that in the girls' hiking gear. "hug a tree, blow your whistle and stay calm," brilliant Anet. Thanks for sharing that.

The door is beautiful, had no idea that it faux!

dongdong said...

That stained glass is beautiful. I like the hiking gear idea.

Tara said...

I love your hiking kit... those instructions are brilliant. I hope Noah has many wonderful adventures with it, and that he won't need to break into the emergency kit.

Old leaded glass windows are so beautiful. Your front door spruce up looks like the real thing – great job!

RunninL8 said...

I love a nest! The stained glass kit is awesome!!! Looks very classy!
We always have so much fun geating our hiking gear together. Can't wait for mud season to be over so we can get up on the ridges!

Lisa Anne said...

Very Good idea to stay put if he is lost. I worried a lot when we first moved here with all these woods around, but now Amelia knows them so well. One other thing we practice is singing loudly when we feel like maybe there is a bear around, this usually scares them off (not because our singing is so bad). We had walkie-talkies when Amelia was out hiking around alone, I would have her check in with me every so often.
A pocket knife is really the only thing Amelia carries around with her these days. Enjoy exploring the woods, I think being alone in the woods is the most wonderful experience for kids.

Anet said...

Hi Lisa, Thanks! I'm glad to share with you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks dongdong:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Tara,
Thanks I hope he never has to use it either... I'm a bit of a worry wort!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks RunninL8, How's spring coming along for you?
Hopefully you'll be hiking soon:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Lisa Anne,
Walkie-talkies are a great idea! We have some somewhere around here.
I like the singing too. I hope there are no bears where we hike, but they did spot one a few summers ago at the Walmart parking lot a few miles from here. YIKES!

Amelia is a lucky girl. No nature deficient for her! We have to drive a few miles to get our Nature fix:)

Tammy said...

Great hiking kit, Anet.

And I just love brown eggs. They just look so pretty, and countryish. They are also our favorite to dye because the colors come out to be jewel colors.

denise said...

Great kit! We have a kit that goes with the boys when we hike too...definitely have a whistle. I even have a crank noisemaker (from a new years eve party) in my 4 year olds pack since he sometimes runs out of breath (asthma).

tiff said...

i am lovin' the egg and nest...and that faux stained glass is pretty incredible looking on your front door.

noah looks like he is going to be all set for camping & hiking...way to go mama!

momteacherfriend said...

Brilliant on the stain glass door.

Nice kit. Staying calm is probably the most important thing you can instill in your child. My dad always says, "Your most important tool in any given situation is your mind. Use it. Don't allow panic to take away your most vital asset."

Ruth said...

The brown egg tableau is so pretty. :)

Those storms were something else! Don almost got fried in the hot tub. Thankfully he saw lightning in the distance and got out just before I went out. Within 2 minutes a big CRACK right outside the bathroom window and sparks flying. Geez! Scary. We were in Ann Arbor for most of the day, but I could see from the clocks that we had lost power at home while we were out.

The stained glass is awesome.

sandy said...

Nice door, wow I'm ehind here.

Blog Archive