Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Our Michigan Woods Unit.

To go along with our "Michigan Woods Unit" (which I'm making up as we go along.) We've put together the hiking backpack. We've read many books about Michigan including the woods, animals, trees, camping and hiking. Some books from our favorite local husband & wife author and illustrator team Robbyn Smith Van Frankenhuysen and Gijsbert van Frankenhuyzen.
Saving Samantha and Adopted by an Owl. Two true stories about a red fox and an owl they helped rehabilitate on their farm in Bath Michigan. Just a few miles from us:)
We've studying more about Noah's heritage, the Ojibwa Indians. Done a few art projects. We measured the maple tree in our front yard and found it's about 140 years old. We've hiked a few times. We are waiting for the weather to get better so we can get back out there!

Noah and I made hiking sticks yesterday. We found sticks in the woodpile. Luckily we found two that the bark had already fallen off. Then we sanded them smooth. We painted them with acrylic paint. After they dried, I took a sharpie to add lines and words. I still need to wax them with some beeswax.

We each chose words for our sticks. I chose "A Walk in the Woods... Is Good for the Soul"
And Noah chose "Magical Walking Stick... A Journey to the Wild Wood." We add some ribbons and beads to Noah's stick. His is a bit on the fantasy side, which is okay.


This was really fun project!

9 comments:

Tara said...

I think any hike you take will be more fun with those beautiful sticks. Your Michigan Woods unit sounds like a lot of fun.

Tammy said...

NICE walking sticks Anet. You both did a really nice job! We are always looking for a good walking stick every time we go on a hike. We end up having so many walking sticks that most end up becoming "stirring sticks" for the back yard firepit.

Lisa Anne said...

Wish we could spend some time in the woods hiking with y'all. Beautiful sticks, you always have very inspiring and fun unit studies.

Lisa said...

Such beautiful walking sticks. I made those with my second graders years ago, but haven't made them with the girls yet, thanks for the inspiration (i like the sharpie touches). The books sound wonderful...more books we must read. Please continue to post about how you are exploring and learning about the Ojibwa Indians.

tiff said...

oh my goodness...what a fantastic project...mama and son...it must be so fun to study noah's heritage...and learn more about michigan...enjoy your unit even if you are making it up as you go.

Delphine said...

I am so full of admiration at what you do and the way you carry through your imaginative ideas! You do all that and you still have time to blog alongside you other jobs! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Those are great hiking sticks! What a wonderful idea.

Anet said...

Thanks Tara, Mine's a bit too long. I'm going to have Brad cut a few inches off the bottom.
I'm a shorty at 5'2"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Tammy,
Noah has his favorite sticks! He caught me stirring the firepit with one a few weeks ago. Yikes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Lisa Anne, Thanks:)
We would love to wander around your woods someday! It's so beautiful there:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Lisa, Thank you!
We will be sure to post more on the Ojibwa.
We will be going to the annual powwow in June.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Tiff,
Love your new shoes icon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awww.... Delphine! That's so sweet:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you, Docwitch:)

RunninL8 said...

Those walking sticks are AWESOME!!!!! What a great idea!!!! I love the colors and the added words. As a goof, a family friend of ours created a walking stick with a HUGE gobstopper stuck on the top and sent it to my 13 year old! So you can hike and .....suck on a huge gobstopper?!
I think the Woods study is SO great for your boy! To instill a sense of wonder and appreciation for the woods, a good hiking/camping ethic....So Walden!!!

Blog Archive