Saturday, March 28, 2009

Educating Noah

What a journey this year of homeschooling has been! Some of you may not know that this is Noah's first year of homeschooling. With my older two children we homeschooled in the JR High and High school years. They got along fine in Elementary, well Autumn did. Caleb I've since learned suffered in silence through it. So I thought Noah would be happy there too. I was so wrong.
My funny bright boy, turned into a depressed chaotic child, who his father and I didn't know. At home he would relax and be his normal happy self. At school by what the teachers told me he was someone else. He hated the work, he hated being confined to a chair, he didn't understand the other kids. (it's a big city school) there were bullies to spare.


I had a teacher tell me that he's ADHD. Two doctors told me no he's not, after testing him. The teacher said find another doctor that would diagnose him...Are you kidding me? One of the doctors was our pediatrician that's known Noah for his entire life. The doctor told me there's nothing wrong with Noah, there's something wrong with the classroom. Noah had an I.Q. test and tested in the average range for all subjects except he tested in the superior range in Verbal ability. That didn't surprise me, the boy can talk and he talked early in life. Everywhere I take him, he loves to talk to people and they comment on how intelligent he is. His gift for gab was not appreciated in school, not at all!
Even when he worked at school, he needed to talk it through, softly to himself. This made the teacher very upset. I spent many hours in his classroom, whenever I was there I saw my Noah!
Sitting still, working, relaxed and happy I was there. This confused the teacher...how can a child not have ADHD when his mom was in the classroom and have it when she wasn't? hmmm....
Maybe because that's impossible! You can't turn on and off ADHD!

I've had his first grade teacher tell me that he reads below grade level. What the heck?! At home the child read like crazy. I thought "what should a first grader be reading for goodness sake?" What was going on was Noah would refuse to read for the teachers. They placed him in a reading class, he still refused to read. I knew he could read and read well. I told them that, they thought I was crazy. They threaten to hold him back, I explained that to Noah. He went in the next day and read 5 levels up of books for the reading teacher. She couldn't believe it. He finished the year with the (20 year experience) teacher admitting she was wrong about Noah. He ended the year above grade level in all subjects and reading at a 3rd grade level.


Noah was a different child at school, this worried us very much. I began to get upset with Noah, I would give him long lectures that he had to "behave" at school! We punished him for his behavior, it never made a difference. It was really straining our relationship. I could understand why he was so different at school , than at home. He was certainly a strange child.
There was 40 minutes for gym, 40 minutes for art and 40 minutes for science a week. That's it! Times up, whether your still working or interested. All subjects Noah loves. From late Fall until Spring his teacher would not let them go outside for recess, indoor recess only. Meaning they could play with Lego's or games for 20 minutes quietly.They never used the gym for recesses.
They also took away outdoors lunch recess and shorten the lunch hours. They had assigned seats at the lunch tables and a no talking rule. How miserable! No wonder the kids are so out of control when they couldn't move their bodies and burn up some energy.
Noah's second grade year was a bit better. The teacher never called me at all. Whew!!!
But that's were he encountered two bullies that were just plain scary!!! That was it, we decided to homeschool him.
So this year has really been amazing! We are so happy we've made the decision to homeschool him now. He has read so many books this year, there is no way would he have read that many books if he was in P.S. He has learned all the math a 3rd grader should learn in record time. He's writing stories on the computer. He's a excellent speller.
I swear he's covered about 3 years worth of History in this one year. His favorite subject.
The time we've spent out in nature is an amazing gift! Studying, just being out in the woods is fantastic. We both have made wonderful friends at our homeschool group park days, nature classes, science labs.
He is relaxed, happy, confident and wanting to learn. Brad and I are much less stressed out now too! Even though homeschooling is more work on my part, that's part of being a mom. You have to do whats best for your child. I wish I never ever sent him to school, it nearly crushed the spirit of my amazing little boy. He's great now, so I shouldn't dwell on it.
In the beginning of the homeschool year Noah really wanted homeschool to be "school like" He hadn't deschooled himself yet. So that's what we did. After just a few weeks Noah relaxed a bit and found his groove with homeschooling. He was so amazed that I was asking him what he'd like to learn and what he'd like to do first. This child just bloomed! Now we are almost unschoolers.
We don't plan ahead on subjects, they come and go according to Noah's interest. Such as the Civil War has been a year long subject and will be a life long passion for Noah. There are days were we we role play...that's what Noah calls it. We pretend to be Lewis and Clark, pioneers or adventurers. This can take up the whole day. But you would believe the learning that goes on.
His imagination has returned! The only thing I was concerned about was math. I really thought it was an important year for him to learn math. So that is one area he had little choice in. I did try to make it has fun as possible.
Life is good now, I hope he'll never have to return to school. Unless someday Noah wants to go back school then he can. It's always his choice. For now he loves being home and free. Some days he'll say "Mom, I feel so sorry for the kids in school right now." Usually when we a walking a path in the woods.


Now he can read what he wants, learn what he wants and talks all he wants. He's focused and interested in so many things. I have to trust myself and Noah, that he will grow up to be a productive, caring, and most importantly... happy adult.
The teacher that wanted me to drug him so he would sit quietly and not move, pisses me off! I'm so glad I never gave in to her (she screamed in my face one day!) and listen to the doctors and my heart. Yeah, some days his talking drives me a bit nutty too! But I'm sure his talking is a gift of some sort, don't you think?

21 comments:

tiff said...

Can I send my kids to you?

What an enlightening entry! I think all teachers/educators should read this, as this is a wake up call to all that teach within 4 walls...not all children are alike and we should celebrate the differences instead of squashing them!

Oh boy...the ADHD comment...people are crazy to jump on board with this label...it drives me NUTS! I work with an ADHD teacher...and let me tell you it makes all my students look calm and they are kindergartners. Geesh aren't kiddo's naturally full of energy...you just have to find that niche for each of them and then the light bulb goes off and you have a child the LOVES school...but we all know that PUBLIC SCHOOL/PRIVATE SCHOOL is not so good at opening those doors to each individual student and so we try our damndest to put them into what works best as a group...UGH! AND that SUCKS, as that doesn't work for ALL children!

Noah is one LUCKY guy to have parents that care about his well being, education and his learning style. Noah would never get the rich HISTORY lessons you have provided him with until way later in his education. And all that fresh air and learning that happens outside can never be replaced with a classroom filled with 20 students.

Anet you have made a fabulous choice for your child...one that Noah will see much success NOW and into his future. He LOVES LEARNING...and isn't that a goal all parents and teachers should have for each child????!!!!!

AND I LOVE...LOVE...LOVE...that photo with the kitties looking at Noah on the screen!

Way to go! You inspire me EVERYDAY to be a better parent and public school educator!

Sharon said...

I know I've been pretty quiet lately; I don't always have much to say and I've been trying to be truer to my "real" life self than I've been in the past. Anyways, this post is just wonderful and inspired me to say that I'm the same way about math....wanting to make sure we are up to speed.

We started with Singapore math and later switched to Hake Saxon at the suggestion of a friend. 2 years of Hake Saxon were nightmarish! Tara suggested Math U See to me but I was hesitant because of the cost. The price wasn't an issue if we ended up liking it but if we didn't..... We'll, I've never thanked Tara (hopefully she'll read this!) but it is so GREAT!!! I can't say enough good things about it. Really, really great. Math was always the one stressful point for Zoe and now she is getting straight A's....and easily!!! So thank you Tara! And if you are ever looking for a new program for Noah this one is well worth it.

Great post and a BIG hug to Noah for being sooo very cool!

Lisa Anne said...

What a beautiful post. It is really sad to think of how many other 'Noahs' that are out there. He is so lucky to have a Mama who understands what he needs. It is really excellent to see how children blossom into their true selves while homeschooling. Very inspiring!

Tara said...

I'm so happy for you and Noah, for your whole family, that everything is working out and Noah is content and has found a way of learning that lifts him up. Noah is blessed to have such a wonderful homeschooling mom – one with an open mind.
In one of your previous posts you mentioned Noah hanging out with his PS friends this week, which made me smile and I meant to comment on. Lately I've come across a number of posts bashing the PS system and the kids who attend. So sad. Nice and mean, weird and normal... there's a mix everywhere you go... the "group" you belong to really doesn't matter. It's nice to see you reinforcing that with Noah... to be friends with all kinds of kids...makes me feel hopeful.
Have a great Spring Break!

PS. Sharon, you're welcome! I need to send you an email...

Delphine said...

This happens in France too! Why do these teachers have to put everybody into a box? Perhaps its the teachers themselves who need educating --

Anet said...

Thank you everyone for those very encouraging words. I am sure homeschool is the best choice for Noah. I'm also sure he was a challenge to his K and 1st grade teachers. But the whole trying to label him ADHD when the behavior was ONLY in the classroom made me nuts! I knew that was wrong. The classroom setting was the wrong environment for him. At least at that school. Many children do well there.

I'm upset with myself that I was getting upset with Noah for not being able to just fit in, go with the flow, causing trouble for us.
I feel so bad about it...then and now. Nothing compared to how bad poor Noah felt about himself. He has never ever wanted to upset me. I could just cry, still!

I have a big spot in my heart for teachers, it's one of the toughest jobs out there! But like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones. Each school, each principal, each teacher and child, How could it all work together without a hitch? I don't think we'll ever solve that mystery.
Bullying is such a huge problem, I can see how it is hard for the school to control it. They do try, it's just so overwhelming sometimes.
You should hear the future plan for the school system where I live, it sounds so crazy to me. Closing a bunch of schools and putting them all into a few buildings. Oh and a school for just the "problem children" Any teachers out there want that job?! Yikes! Poor kids, what will they think of themselves being sent there?

Sharon,
I've heard many great things about Math U See. I'm saving up this summer for it and we will start it in the fall. I'm so glad it's working so well for Zoe. That's awesome! Big hugs back from Noah:)

dongdong said...

What a wonderful post!! I live in the same state as you and just thrilled to find someone in my state in blogger land though we might still be very far. :)

I'm also considering unschooling and just reading about that. I'm still a little scared... and experimenting a little bit. We'll see. I'm kind of all over the map since I'm learning and discovering this homeschool journey myself for my children.

I'm excited to have found your blog through 5 orange potatoes.:)

P.S. I got math u see intro dvd and looking forward to viewing it soon.

Anet said...

It's nice to meet you DongDong:)
I totally understand about being a bit scared about homeschooling/unschooling. Everyone goes through that, more than once! It's good that you are an eclectic homeschooler, trying a little of this and a little of that. "Use what works and leave the rest" is what I always say. Our homeschool has certainly evolved this year. It's okay to take some time to figure it out. I try not to worry about "labels" so much. Each child and family is different and unique.
My oldest son (17) was a great unschooler, my daughter (22)preferred a curriculum, both of them are now in college. Noah (9)is working his way into unschooling. I've tried to learn all I could about different styles of homeschooling.
Unschooling is interest-led, natural learning which I love.
My job is to teach what he wants to learn. Strew interesting things in his path. (as Sandra Dodd has taught many of us)
Make sure he has all the resource and materials he needs to be succesful at whatever the subject of study is. (There are so many ways to tie in reading, writing, art, history, etc. to almost any subject.)
Find homeschool group activites that are interesting to him and take him to homeschool park days to just "play" with friends. Whew!!! that's alot of stuff:)
The only part I worry about with Noah's education is math. He does well in it. But work books can be so boring. We are going to purchase Math U See, I've heard from several homeschooling moms how great it is!
I also love to find other Michigan blogging homeschoolers! We are in the Capital City:) With loads of great opportunities for homeschoolers. We feel very blessed that it's working out so well.
Following our hearts is the best we can do as moms:)

momteacherfriend said...

Absolutely he has a gift, it will be fun watching how it plays out.

We are in the middle on the school/unschool spectrum. We have an hour and a half of seat work (Math and Phonics) and then the rest of the day exploring.

I have two different personalities in my home. One that loves the curriculum and the other that thrives in the free exploration. We try to balance it out.

keep doing what your doing...you're doing a great job.

Anet said...

Thanks Sarah!
It's so great we can honor our children's individual personalities and learning styles.

We hope to bump into you guys at Fenner soon. You can help me get over my snake fear...yikes! At least I can stay in the same room and a few feet away from them now. That's a huge improvement:)
I'm sure we'll be spending some time there this week. See you soon!

Lisa said...

Anet, it sounded like you were talking about my Binky! He, too, has a mastery of language. But I am now seeing it in math and science(he wants to understand time and space, black holes and time travel.) Well, our school told us that they could do nothing for my gifted kids. How sad is that! So, now we homeschool! Noah is a bright, interesting child! And he is so lucky to have you as a mom! We are lucky to be their moms.

A Slice of the Pie said...

What a great post, Anet.

dongdong said...

Thanks, Annet! I love what you said. You sound very wise.

Please let me know what you think of Math U See. I'm interested in it but still exploring options. I'm trying to learn my lesson and not to jump into anything too quick.

Amy Bradstreet said...

Congratulations to you and your husband and to Noah for being as connected as you are and for advocating for your child. It's obvious you are dedicated to guiding him in his learning. This was a beautiful post, Anet. Smooch!

Tammy said...

Oh wow, this reminds me so much (in different ways...and yet...) of the trauma my 3 oldest went through at public school before I pulled them out of there to homeschool. I'm so, so, so, so glad you decided to homeschool Noah. Anet, you are a wonderful mother. Your son will be so blessed and I know will be ever grateful.

sandy said...

I really enjoyed reading this Anet and it takes me back to my third son, who was diagnosed by the professionals at school hahahaha, as being ADD. He had problems learning, problems focusing....well heck, he was just a creative kid like Noah, interesting in his own things and he at 26 started his own construction company doing well. (excuse my typing, the text is so small in this box)...

anyway, I loved reading about Noah..

This son of mine is extremely successful... and was so misunderstod in school.

Leaving town for a few days so will catch up towards the end of the week.

Go Noah!

Anet said...

Sounds like many of us have had struggles with school.
I feel tremendously blessed that I have the option to homeschool him.

Gwen Buchanan said...

I am so happy it has been a good year for Noah... letting Max learn at home was the best thing we ever did for Max... I worried when we took Max out in Gr. 5... as they always said he was behind... well he was born at the end of the year trying to keep up to everyone else... and he was quiet too and would not speak up in class to ask questions... anyway he went back to school this year in Gr. 10... and I don't want to brag but he has done so well ... high honors!! He just won an award for the highest standing in English Language Arts in Gr. 10, presented by the principal of the school... He was pretty thrilled... Anet, what you are doing with Noah is much more than I ever did with Max... I just let him learn what he wanted to learn when he wanted to.. Noah will do Fine...

Anet said...

That is awesome Gwen! You have ever right to brag. Must make Max feel pretty good about himself.
Wonderful!

Unknown said...

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to document this. It's so wonderful to hear a real life situation. Especially of a child in the system first.

The whole adhd craze infuriates me.

Loved reading it. And yay for Noah. What a great kid.

Anet said...

Thanks for reading this long post Mon! I'm so glad he's home and learning the way that's natural for him.

Blog Archive