Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Funeral for Poor Mister Mouse


When we returned home from our walk today we glanced into the pond and found a poor little mouse that had fell in and drowned.

Of course Noah wouldn't just let me toss him in the trash. So we found a little mousey coffin and had a proper funeral... a proper mouse funeral.


Noah said some sweet words and we laid him to rest.


Sniffy attended the ceremony too. I think she just came for the luncheon that followed.

Noah's newest favorite book is Mouse Guard by David Petersen. He has read and re-read this book over and over... this is why the little mouse floating in the pond touched Noah's heart.

11 comments:

Tammy said...

See this is something Noah wouldn't have had time to notice (or do anything about) if he'd been in school!

He seems to be very caring. :)

Tara said...

Noah is such a caring young man. I'm glad you made the time to see the little fellow off properly. I hope Sniffy enjoyed the luncheon selections.

Lisa said...

Sweet, sweet Noah sounds just like my Fauna. BTW, I was reading the post and thinking..."ahh, ahh" then I saw Sniffy and honestly almost lost it. He was the perfect comic relief. ;)

Gwen Buchanan said...

Sorry 'bout the little creature... That was awfully caring to give him a burial...

Anne said...

That was very caring of Noah to bury the mouse. Lovely:)

Sniffy is so cute! He/She looks very mischievous!:)
I'm from Australia we don't get squirrels down here.

Ruth said...

This is such a cool post, Anet! Those images of the mouse, especially of him in his little coffin, are really wonderful. It's good to pause and respect our animal siblings. How nice that you and Noah honored him this way, and that you honored Noah's need to do it.

So funny about Sniffy and luncheon!

Anet said...

Thank you Tammy, you are so right!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Tara, Sniffy is so funny, she kept peeking around the fence to see if we were coming yet. (to the porch)
She had a hot dog bun;)
and later she came back for peanuts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Hi Lisa, Yes Noah has a huge heart for animals:)
That's Sniffy, our comic relief!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Gwen:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Anne, thank you. I didn't know Australia doesn't have squirrels! We have black ones too:)
We were just reading about Australia in the new National Geographic Mag. that came in the mail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Ruth, You know I love how the photo of the mouse in his coffin turned out. (not to be morbid or anything.) The colors, how peaceful he looks. Prefect little mouse coffin.
Have a great time in NYC with your family:)

Stumbleine said...

Hey mom, i'm attempting to keep up on my blog now, just so you know.

Lisa Anne said...

Poor little mousie! Amelia bought some "Mouse Guard" from the local 'comic' book shop a couple of years ago but she never kept up with the series, the illustrations are quite nice...I stumbled upon one the other day while cleaning off some shelves. I think he would like the Redwall series if he likes these.

Anet said...

Hi Lisa Anne,
Noah has checked out the hard cover Mouse Guard from the library over and over. I really need to just buy it for him.
It has all the fall series in one book. Also a Winter hard cover should be out soon.
The illustrations are so sweet!

We tried to start Redwall but he felt a little overwelmed by the tiny print and thickness of it. I'll bring it back out in a year or so. I'm sure he will enjoy it then.

sandy said...

ahhh darn...poor mouse. We came home from our little trip and there was a dead baby rabbit on the deck that the cats brought in. I scooped it up in a bowl, took a photo and threw her in the trash, that was not nice of me.

Blog Archive