Conquering fears is something Noah has been working on. I've been wanting to take him to the Mt. Hope Cemetery to see the Civil War soldier section and to show him the history, the art and the wonderful nature in the cemetery. He's always been too afraid to go with me. Sunday was such a nice day, Brad said he would come along too. This made Noah feel better... in case of a zombie attack, I guess. It took a bit of convincing to get him out of the car.
Anyway, once we were there Noah relaxed and really enjoyed visiting the graves and reading the stones. We did some headstone rubbings. One of my Uncle Robert who died when he was nine years old. One of the man who captured John Wilkes Booth and several Civil war soldiers. Noah said, "It's really cool here, it's not scary at all!" Really?!!!Last week Noah held an albino rat snake. Look at that smile! Last month he would only touch a snake with a quick finger tip, before that he wouldn't dream of touching a snake.
Now, I'm a mom with a pretty big "snake" fear... I try really hard not to pass this on to my children and encourage them to be open minded about them...now if I'd just stop being a big chicken. I'll work on that.
There has been growth in many other areas I've noticed with Noah lately, I'm just so happy for him:)




10 comments:
I was lucky, as my parents took me to me to the cemetary where my grandad was buried when I was about 6 , and I remember it feeling very peaceful there, so I have never had any hang-ups about it. Love the look on Noah's face whlst holding the snake, it smacks of achievement!
That's so awesome! I love how you are providing gentle encouragement while respecting Noah's need to take it at his own pace.
Watching these kinds of growth spurts in our children, seeing them come into their own, is really neat.
Great job Noah....us adults could learn a lot from a boy like him. :) We love visiting cementaries, so many stories.
Looks like he is overcoming his fears.
I love snakes. Spiders however...
;)
There's nothing in the world like watching your child grow! Binky is working on his fear of bees and wasps!
Wow...sounds like a great day! The comfort of mama and daddy, always helps with fears.
AS for the snake...Rick would be right there with you...he can't stand snakes...totally freaks out. And our boys' know it, so they always put their pretend snakes in his boots...nice, huh?
The rubbings sound fun to do!
You are such a nurturing mother, Anet. It's amazing to watch you. It's your calling I think. Sometimes I wonder what I would be like with you for a mother! I'm serious. Any child would flourish under your encouragement, teaching, and the freedom you offer.
Oh! My word verification: suess :)
Hi Delphine, I feel the same way about cemeteries, just peacefulness!
I love the way you say "whlst" and "it smacks!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you Tara, So very sweet of you to say:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```
Thanks Lisa, I love visiting cemeteries too:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Tammy, I'm the opposite of you:) Spiders are okay... snakes make my whole body tighten up!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Lisa, Some childhood fears are hard to conquer. The bee fear is a hard one. They do sting, good reason to be fearful of them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tiff,
My snake fear has something to do with the time my two brothers slipped a snake into my kiddie pool while I was in it!!! I ran screaming and fell flat on my face.
I'm sure Rick has a good reason too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Ruth,
You brought tears to my eyes. You will never know how much that means to me! It makes me feel like it's all worth it:) Bless your heart!
I love watching kids interact with the snakes. I also enjoy watching the mothers who bite their lip, wanting to encourage their children but are content to stand back.
I would say he has come a long way if only weeks ago he was afraid of them. Way to go!!
They have set up more reptiles and amphibians for the Maple Syrup Fest this weekend. I am sure he would enjoy checking them out.
Enjoyed this and good seeing Noah conquering his ears. I learned to like snakes (tolerate them) cause my youngest had a collection for years...and a few escaped into the house, we have never found them. We had renovation done though so I imagine they got outdoors. He has another snake now....just one...
Post a Comment