Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy 200th Birthday President Lincoln!

One of our all time favorite Presidents turns 200 today! We've been reading about him in the last couple of weeks. Fascinating guy! He sure had a rough childhood. Noah's eyes filled up with tears when he read that he lost his mother when he was nine years old. Abraham was very close to his mother, she loved him dearly. Luckily, Abraham's father remarried and his step-mother was good to him. She encouraged him to study and become all he could. She knew that he was special. His father on the other hand wanted him to just labor. He did work hard at everything he did. Thank goodness she put her foot down and stood up to Abraham's father.
We measured the height of Abraham Lincoln on our doorway marking it with an arrow. He was 6'4" tall. This is without his stovepipe hat which could be anywhere from 8 to 14" high.


A Poem by Abraham Lincoln written about himself when he was a boy.

Abraham Lincoln

His hand and pen

he will be good but

god knows when.

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Anet, This is just wonderful! I want to read all the posts. You are so creative with the schooling and everything else, I am so impressed. What a smart child Noah is! I was finally able to sign on and peruse the blog and I am so glad that I did, thanks for sharing it with me! I will definantly show Esteban too. Ms Bonnie was right about your blog! I am so excited to learn more about you, hope that doesn't scare you! Take care and wow! I am just so impressed!

Jodi Anderson said...

I heart Abe. Lots. I'd never read that poem before now.

Anet said...

Hey Elizabeth,
Thank you, I'm so glad you found me! I just love reading about your adventures there in Mexico. We sure miss Esteban at school.
We do have fun homeschooling. Noah just loves it.
I was wondering your plans for Esteban when he starts elementary school. Will you still travel back and forth between countries?, school in both countries? or maybe homeschool? What ever you choose I'm sure he'll do just fine. He's such a bright boy!
Ms. Bonnie is in Mexico right now on a vacation, so next week I'm leading the school for a few days without her.
We will be learning about Presidents day. Mostly George Washington, although I like Abe better. Oh well...
Wednesday was our Valentines Day party with loads of sweets, good thing we send them home soon after snack, sugar over load!!! Poor parents:)
Please feel free to browse all you want. I'm glad all is going well. Talk to you soon. Give Esteban a hug for me:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi so NOT cool,
I love him too! He was quite the character:)

Delphine said...

I used to be a Young mum with four daughters, I am now a happy 66 yr old mum, grandmother, and great grandmother --See what joys you have to come? ( smile) France is where I live, but I am london born and bred. I would like to drop in from time to time if thays OK?

Tara said...

Oh, I just love that last picture of Noah in the doorway! We'll be studying Lincoln next year; I'm looking forward to it myself.

Anet said...

That would be great Delphine! I'm glad you found me. I've seen you at Sandy's blog. I popped into your blog and I can't wait to hear more about your life in France. Oh and to see the inside of the chateau would be wonderful! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Tara, Thanks ;)
Wow, you know what you'll be studying next year! I haven't a clue...whatever the wind brings us I guess. I did tell Noah we'd better slow down or we'll run out of things to learn. Lol!

Anet said...

Delphine, I guess it's Ruth's blog I've seen you at. Anyways I knew I've seen you somewhere:)

Lisa Anne said...

I have been wanting to do a little unit on Abe Lincoln, but we have been following a lot of stuff about Charles Darwin instead, who is also celebrating his 200th B-day.

Anet said...

Lisa Anne,
I had no idea Charles Darwin was that old!

sandy said...

Great post and cute noah.

Blog Archive