Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Today...

Loads of Homeschooling

This morning we enjoyed our 12 Days of Christmas pop-up book.
Then we found some unbelievable, beautiful, colorful creatures from the sea in a National Geographic Mag. (found in the free box at the library.) Noah and I made up our own sea creature with oil pastels. Noah also made his sister, her boyfriend and his brother gifts for Christmas....I can't say here, because they peek in at my blog sometimes.


Noah is working on an exhibit for the Future Historian club that he is in. Each child is making an exhibit of a famous person with ties to Michigan. Noah chose Thomas Edison. So we are learning all about Edison's life. As a boy, the school labeled Edison as ADDLED (their term for unteachable.) His mother was furious, she pulled out of school and homeschooled him. She taught him a little math and writing. She got him loads of books on subjects that interested him. Sounds like an unschooler to me! :)
The book 21 Activities Thomas Edison for Kids has some fun and interesting activities. We made some thaumatropes; when they spin, one puts a fish into the fish bowl and the other is a tree that turns into a Christmas tree.
Then in the afternoon we went to the homeschool group's Christmas party at the library. Noah visited with friends and made a Graham cracker house. A fun and busy day with Noah. ;)

7 comments:

Tara said...

Wow! You guys aren't messing around... Great projects, Noah. And a score out of the free box; you can't beat that.

tiff said...

What a fun day...definitely a day well lived...your projects are unbelievable...SMILES :)

Ruth said...

I didn't know that about Edison! Don't you love/hate labels and how cruel they are, but then sometimes they help people get past hurdles?

denise said...

Busy busy! Looks like fun!

Are you getting all of our snow today?

Gwen Buchanan said...

Anet what a wealth of inspiration for Noah.. I enjoyed reading this about Edison.. Love the photos.

sandy said...

You're such a fun mom. I'm impressed. I could have never done homeschooling.

Anet said...

Hey Tara, One time I found an arm load of Children's mags. Like Cricket and Owl. Fun stuff!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Tiff:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, labels are tricky Ruth.
Now Noah is reading about Einstein and how he was kicked out of school at 15 because he did things his own way and never did anything that didn't interest him. Funny!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Denise,
We had a few inches last night, not enough for a Snow day...
But I guess Thursday could be up to 12 inches with ice. Groan!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Gwen, glad you liked it!
I can't wait to see his exhibit at the museum!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh Sandy,
You're homeschooling those sweet grandkids every time they are over...you just don't know it:)

Blog Archive