Monday, November 17, 2008

Native American Heritage Month

Boozhoo!
(Greetings!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Well of course we have to celebrate Native American Heritage Month with a little homeschool learning. Today we read the book Ojibwe Indians. We found a list of Ojibwe words for the months of the year. We are in the month of November/ Gashkadino-Giizis=Freezing Moon.
Next month is December/Manidoo-Giizisoons=Little Spirit Moon. The new month for the Ojibwa people starts on the full moons.
Remember Ojibwa, Ojibwe, Chippewa are all the same people. The Ojibwa Indians refer to themselves as Anishinaabe "The Original People." Our family has always spelled it as Ojibwa.
They lived along the shores of Gichi Gami which means "The Great Lakes." in Michigan, upper Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Ontario, Canada.
Some Ojibwa math.
Noah is reading Who's that Stepping on Plymouth Rock? We are trying to find out the truth behind The first Thanksgiving, the Pilgrims and the Native People. We have uncovered some interesting facts. A little different than the history books tell us. Our family chose not to have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year... We will be having a Ghost Supper/Harvest Dinner, but more about that some other time.

Migwetch! (Thank you!)

13 comments:

Tara said...

I swear, you guys have one of the best home schools going. I love coming over here to see what you've been up to. Can't wait to hear more about your celebration this month!

Anet said...

Awe! Thanks Tara. That's very sweet to say.
I sat down tonight to plan out our menu, write a prayer and plan some fun activities for our Harvest Dinner/Ghost Supper. I'm off to google and look for a yummy hot apple cider drink recipe for our dinner. (for the grown-ups.)

Sharon said...

I can't wait to hear more about the Ghost Supper/Harvest dinner, very intriguing.

Hope you're feeling better!

Lisa Anne said...

What great lessons to go with the Heritage month, my grandmother was half Native American but she was "re-programmed" and was always ashamed of her ancestry, I think she grew up in a time and place where people just didn't accept you if you weren't "white". My Aunt has been working to restore our families connection to this part our family for a long time.
I love the turkey photo in your header, we have a flock of wild turkeys who have come right up behind our house where we can see them while we are eating breakfast for the past week. I just love them. Since it is hunting season around here and we are on 200 hundred acres surrounded by state game land, my daughter thinks they have come here because they know they are safe.

Anet said...

Thanks Sharon,
I'm still feeling pretty sick. I think I have a sinus infection or something gross like that. I probably should make a doctor appointment. I felt really sick this morning at work.
BLAH!

Anet said...

Hi Lisa Anne,
I know exactly what you mean by reprogrammed, that is such a shame that they were treated that way.
I just talked to my mother-in-law on the phone who is full blooded Ojibwa and invited her over for our dinner. She went through some of the same things.
I think it's wonderful that my children have this bloodline and we are always looking for ways to honor it. Not to mention they get their college tuition waved. Yippee!!! Other wise I'm not sure how we'd have two kids in college right now. What a blessing!

Isn't the turkey cool? I love them too. There is a flock (is it a flock?) of them at the nature center up the road from us and I just love taking photos of them. Noah and I read the other day that Benjamin Franklin really wanted the turkey to be our national bird. Ummm....
I think the bald eagle was probably the best choice in the end.

Anet said...

Ahhh!! yes it is a flock of turkeys! lol... for a minute I was thinking a herd of turkeys sounds so funny!

A Slice of the Pie said...

I like the math page!

Kel

tiff said...

Oh how lovely it would be to live near you guys...as i would ask Noah to come into the Kinder class and teach about the true Thanksgiving...

You do some amazing things together...and i love that you embrace your native culture...it is so rich!

Hope you are feeling better soon Anet!

Anet said...

Thanks Kel!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Tiff,

Thank you! I feel a tad bit better today. The headache is better. ;)

Lisa Anne said...

The bald eagle is a scavenger bird and that is why Benjamin Franklin was so opposed to having it as our national symbol, while turkeys are extremely intelligent and resourceful and beautiful as well. My daughter asked me the other day what I thought people would eat for Thanksgiving if the turkey was our national bird. Probably goose, I thought.

Amy Bradstreet said...

Anet, I'm sure you've seen that book that I have in the margins of my blog: 1621: A New Look At Thanksgiving ? It's a National Geographic book and it's excellent. It looks like you guys have a great project going. And I want to read more about the ghost dinner, too. : >

Anet said...

Hey Amy, No I haven't seen that book on your blog. I should pay better attention. I'm going to check the library for it. It sounds very interesting! We have really been truth seekers lately. No more B.S. for us!

Blog Archive