Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Letting Go...


I hate the time in your children's lives around 17/18 years old and they want to venture out into the world without their parents. They make me a nervous wreck! I eventually became use to the travels of Autumn. She has been on several out-of-state trips with friends, two times to New York City and a few other places.
Now Caleb wants to travel... this weekend he is going on a road trip to Cleveland Ohio. They are going to 2 rock concerts. (or what ever they are calling them these days.) There are three kids going, all ages 17 and 18. They are staying at a friend's house who lives close to Cleveland. I told him I wasn't sure I could agree to this and then his dad said he could! Which is weird!! Okay... breathe and trust that everything will be fine.
So they leave Friday and will be home on Sunday. I've asked all the possible questions I could think of and I'm making some phone calls tomorrow. Does the driver have highway experience? Is his mini van reliable? Has the friend in Ohio parents agreed it's okay to stay there?
I know these are good kids... So I pray and will have a horrible sleepless weekend until I see him walk back in this house on Sunday. I really hate this age! Oh yes, he has to call me every two hours or ELSE!!!

16 comments:

Caleb McRudeson said...

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Tara said...

You know, Anet, I am only about 30 minutes from Cleveland... LOL, wouldn't Caleb love that? Some crazed 41 year old blogger mom trailing him around? tee hee

Anet said...

Caleb, stay of my blog!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excellent idea Tara! If there is any problem I know I can count on you.

Anet said...

Oops... That's stay OFF my blog!
See how crazy you make me?

Sharon said...

That's a great idea Tara! :) Then you can blog all about it. What a riot!

Be safe Caleb!

Tara said...

Yes, be safe Caleb. Don't make me come trailing after you...

Blog about it... Sharon, you are bad...

Sharon said...

Oh, I didn't mean about HIS escapades but just about the hilarious act of doing it! :)

Anet is your cold better?

Tara said...

Yes, that's where I was too Sharon. The whole thing just struck me funny and gave me the giggles is all.

Amy Bradstreet said...

I know the feeling, I get it anytime my husband has to travel also. My dd, 11, just went down to Boston with friends for a birthday party--out of state, busy highways...very nerve wracking, but she came home safe and sound. I trust her and the folks she was with, but it's that *other guy* I worry about.

Sending you Caleb-home-safe-and-sound-vibes. Oh, and have a blast, Caleb.

You'll just have to live with your heart outside yourself for a bit, Anet.

Tammy said...

He'll have such a great time.

But I'm with you, Anet, it's so hard to let go....

Ruth said...

Haha, these comments are great! :D

I remember these days well, Anet! (and Caleb) I was nervous too, but everything always came out just fine. But hey, it's your job to worry and look into stuff. He'd wonder if you didn't! (Right, Caleb?)

Anet said...

Thanks for all the mom support!
Thanks Sharon,
my cold is a bit better... still sneezing, goobery and feeling kind crappy, but a bit better.

This is what he wanted as one of his Christmas gifts... so we are paying his way. I hope he enjoys it. He has no concept of the stress that goes along with this. I guess I did the same thing to my parents though.
A list of concerts I went to as a teenager/young adult: David Bowie, REO speedwagon (a few times) Ted Nugent,Bad Company, Cheap Trick, Fleetwood Mac, Stray Cats, Steppen Wolf, Santana, Men at Work, Blue Oyster Cult, Oh gosh there's a bunch more but that was back in my hazy period. ROCK ON!
Oh yes, my all time favorite concert was when I was an adult, Brad and I saw James Taylor, the same concert that Ruth and Don were at! :D Who did you rock out to?

A Slice of the Pie said...

My oldest just turned 17 and he has been spreading his wings, too. I am not really ready for this stage! Boys this age tend to think they are invincible.

When he was 15 he went into Philadelphia with two friends for a concert and I was nervous even though one of the other boy's dad dropped them off!

I went with friends to quite a few concerts in Philly (including Bowie) when I was a teenager, so now I know how my mom felt!

tiff said...

I can't even imagine the feeling of worry...I don't look forward to that moment and time with our boys'...I just want to smother them and keep them my little boys'...do they really have to grown up??????

Anet said...

Hi Kel, It's tough. I'm getting a bit better at this. I've talked to him about 6 times today. He's there safe and sound! YAY!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMG Tiff, You're going to have two at once! Going in different directions! Oh my!!! Hang on to them while you can :D

Gwen Buchanan said...

I understand your feelings, Anet... Not easy at all.. letting go is the hardest thing... a mother's journey..

Blog Archive