Owls and Hands-on Math
The story is about her husband Nick and his relationship with an owl who they cared for on their farm in the Great Lakes Region. Nick graduated from a Graphic Arts school in the Netherlands. He illustrated the book. He is a fantastic artist. Noah and I fell in love with this true story, the art work and Jackson the owl. Noah said "Wow, it's kind of like us being friends with Sniffy, who is a wild animal too!" I highly suggest this wonderful story of a loving friendship between a man and an owl.
I found a great book at the library called Williamson's Kids Can! Real-World Math for Hands-On Fun. It has some really fun math projects in it. I think Noah will love trying these. The first one he did was called Tessellation Sensation. A mathematical art that plays tricks on your eyes
called tessellation. I found a great book at the library called Williamson's Kids Can! Real-World Math for Hands-On Fun. It has some really fun math projects in it. I think Noah will love trying these. The first one he did was called Tessellation Sensation. A mathematical art that plays tricks on your eyes




8 comments:
That book looks great. Thanks for the suggestion. I love stories of people and animals interacting in a gentle, respectful way.
Repeating patterns are so fun. We did a whole unit about repeating, flipping and rotating and had a blast. Great job Noah, and congratulations on reading your eighth chapter book!
Oh I wish our library carried that book, it sounds like such a lovely book.
8th chapter book! Absolutely wonderful! Great job, Noah. :)
Oh! Don's been telling me about this owl story for years! Nick comes to Don's school every year. He retells the story to me in the hot tub in the winter when we can hear owls hoot to each other, one far away, and one close. Nick is fantastic, and I love having his Great Lakes stories for our children (and adults). The Sleeping Bear one and the Chocolate Pilot too. Yay!
Um, I think you know I meant Don retells the owl story in the hot tub. :|
Thanks Tara, He loves to read this year, Yay!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Tammy, If you ever find it, I know Kayla would just love it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Giggle!!! I knew what you meant Ruth. But when I reread it I could see it could be taken two different ways!
We loved the part when Jackson knocks at the door at night and when they open it, Jackson delivers a mouse into Nick's hand. What a sweet owl to care about feeding his friend.
That must be wonderful to meet him in person and hear the stories.
I've have never heard of the Chocolate Pilot story. I'm going to search the on-line library to place a hold on it.
The sleeping bear story makes me sad.
Cool tessellation! I remember doing similar excersises in my high school art major class.
Great work Noah!
Ruth that was so funny! :)
This is so timely, Anet, as my kids have been asking for more hands-on math projects. I'll be looking for that book and trying out that tesselllation project with them. Thanks!
Post a Comment