Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Homeschooling in the Woods


After a late night of pure joy watching the election,
we decide to celebrate this beautiful day (70 degrees in Nov.!)
By spending the afternoon playing in the woods
with the homeschool group.

I love when my boy can run and play in the woods!
Noah and his homeschool buddy in the "fort."

Hey, it's almost Thanksgiving! Darn... I forgot my musket!

Preening...


Osage Oranges
Where in the heck have I been? Have I never in my life seen an Osage Orange? Maybe I've seen little ones and never paid much attention to them. But I have never seen them this big. It has a spicy citrus smell to it. This huge bumpy chartreuse ball just fascinated me! The little girl who picked them said that squirrels love to eat them. She was very knowledgeable on the fruit. I was so impressed. I told her about Sniffy and she insisted that I take one home for Sniff. :)
Sniffy enjoy your Osage Orange while I enjoy my new President!

14 comments:

tiff said...

Beautiful homeschool day! The woods look lovely to run around in...and that turkey might be tasty in a couple of weeks!

YIPPEE for CHANGE....still can't believe it!!!!!

Sharon said...

Wow, your new camera is incredible. The pictures are great!

Tammy said...

LOL, they look like furry tennis balls to me. ;) I've never even heard of them or seen them before.....

denise said...

Those plants were all over where I grew up. Haven't seen any here. Hmmm.

Musket. Tee hee.

Jodi Anderson said...

They sell the Osage oranges, but under a different name, at a store where I buy produce. They are sold there to repel bugs. Cut them in half and put them around the house, I think. :)

Gorgeous photos.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Anet, to get this close to a wild turkey.. .. lucky you... great shots!!! Love those feathers...

A Slice of the Pie said...

While I was reading the captions and waiting for the pictures to load, I was picturing the fruit of a black walnut tree, which looks similar. Those Osage Oranges were huge. You've piqued my interest and I off to google.

Nice photos!

And I always forget to sign my name-

Kel

Tara said...

Awesome pictures Anet!
Aren't osage oranges the weirdest things? So bizarre you have to love them. Hope Sniffy enjoys his treat.

Anet said...

Hi Tiff, It's was a wonderful day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Sharon, I can't get over the difference. I'm in love with it! I have found one thing I don't like about it so far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Tammy, I can't believe these grow locally and I've never seen them. It's such a weird looking thing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was shock to see these Denise. I have lived here all my life and would run around in the woods all the time as a kid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Jodi, Yeah I think they call them hedge-somethings too. The little girl told me the keep away bugs. I did a bit of research and the verdict is out on that one. But by the way they smell... I bet they would repel bugs. I hope you're feeling better :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Gwen, I know aren't they wonderful?! We saw some beautiful deer too, but with noisy kids running through the woods I didn't get the shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Kel, Yay! Now I know your name!
Those things are huge, they were about as big as the kid's faces! The little girl gave me the biggest one for Sniffy. It's still sitting on the porch this morning. The city is replacing lead water pipe in front of my house and up and down the street for the last few days, (Yeah!) but making awful noises (starting at 7:00am!) so the squirrels are a bit freaked out right now.

Anet said...

Hi Tara! I'm wondering if city squirrel Sniffy has ever seen one! :)

Ruth said...

Oh so much in this post! The turkey feathers are just gorgeous.

Hallelujah about the election!

Osage oranges - I didn't know about them either until I took a picture of them on the ground down the road on campus a couple years ago. I had to post them on my photoblog and ask people to guess what they were. I gave a prize to the winner! They are very strange, I agree.

~Molly~ said...

We call these horse apples and they come from the bois d'arc tree! They are in abundance at our favorite park. I didn't know anything ate them, maybe the wild hogs or deer who frequent the park?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage-orange

Yeah we celebrated here too! Make that *me*, everyone else was sleeping. I have had a hellish few days with my homeschool group though, sigh. Hopefully they won't start up again while we're away camping.

RunninL8 said...

I LOVE the look on the kid's face!"do I have to EAT that?!??!"
You've got random turkeys running around where you live?
What kind of camera did you get?!?!?!

Anet said...

Hey Runni18, I'm sorry you asked me that before and I'm not sure if I answered you. I got a Fugifilm S1000 10.0 mega pixels.
And yes we do have wild turkeys running around in Michigan in the woods. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UDATE On the Osage Orange; None of the squirrels around my house have touched the osage orange. They have no idea what it is.

Blog Archive