I've been so worried about Sniffy. I haven't seen her in about a month. The city was replacing water pipes on my street for a few weeks, terrible noises...jack hammers, dump trucks, bulldozer thingys. They used my corner as their main dumping area for the extra dirt they trucked in. Since that was going on, Sniffy came up missing. The construction has been over for a week now and no sign of Sniffy. Not in her tree, not on the porch, not even when I spent time raking last weekend. Which she always comes up to me when I'm outside. I've called out for her. She was no where. I thought one of two things could of happened to her; A. She left for a more quiet area. B. She died. (she is about 3 years old now.)
This past week has been very sad for me. Every time I came home or looked out the window I can see all of her nest sitting empty. I kept a close eye out for her on the porch looking for peanuts. Nothing. Yesterday I told myself that I just have to except the fact that she's gone.
I said a little prayer for her... I said if she's alive I hope she is well and safe.
Today I saw a squirrel scampering up her tree, I leaped up to check it out. "That's not Sniffy" It was a big brown squirrel with a long pointy tail, then I noticed a little black one by my steps...so I thought I might as well set out some peanuts for them.
I walked out onto the porch with the peanuts, glanced across the street and saw two more brown squirrels chasing each other. I looked carefully..."Sniffy!" She stopped in her tracks and came running across the street. I hand fed her some peanuts and told her it was safe to come home now, if she wanted to. I'm so happy she's okay! I really love that little critter.
I took this photo of her today. I must have over a hundred pictures of her by now. :)
Friday, November 28, 2008
I've been so worried...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




14 comments:
amazing...she definitely has a wonderful connection with you...you are a good person!
I'm glad she came home, poor thing! Our yard squirrels are afraid of us but they'll come up on the window sill to look inside sometimes when they eat the birdseed. So unsalted peanuts are what we need to feed them? I'll have to get some on my next grocery run. What else do they like?
Molly
I'm so glad she's okay!
We may have to give her and Hanging Horn little cell phones so they can check in with us once in a while!
:)
Yay! And I love Sharon's idea, hahaha! Sniffy is one lucky squirrel to have you.
Oh, what a happy ending! I also get attached to the local wild life. I do not know what is special about this tree behind our kitchen window but the turkeys have been hanging out in the morning-Thanksgiving Day they were there the whole day! Now we have a squirrel who comes everyday (there are not many squirrels that we see around here because they are more wild) and the sweetest birds you have ever seen hang out at the same tree.
Thanks Tiff, aww...she just knows I'm the nut with the peanuts!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Molly, I do buy unsalted, because on read on a squirrel site that salt is very bad for squirrels. Sniffy likes a piece of bread, pumpkins seeds, fruit loops, pop tarts,and her favorite is during the holidays I buy bulk mixed nuts...pecans almonds and walnuts. She loves those!
They are much better for burying than the peanut.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hahaha! That is a funny thought Sharon! Or maybe we could strap on those little tracking devices. Hang Horn would probably have trouble dialing a cell phone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Ruthie!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Lisa Anne,
Sound like you have an animal spirit tree. A safe haven for animals. The turkeys came on Thanksgiving because they knew they would be safe at your place.
That is so awesome!
I started reading this and my heart jumped into my throat. I'm glad there was a happy ending and Sniffy made it back "home" again. Whew!
YAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!!
My heart just SANK as I was reading this and then it leapt for joy to read that sniffy is OK!
Oh sorry, I must of written it like a suspense story! I didn't mean to make it seem so gloom and doom. She must of found a new tree somewhere in the neighborhood to live in. That's good. My tree is on a really busy corner, it will be much safer for her somewhere else. As long as she comes for a visit now and then :)
Ohmygosh! This is heartbreakingly sweet. I love the diversity of relationships between humans and other creatures.
That's good news that Sniffy came home! I clicked over to Sniffy's blog to show my 7 y.o. some more pictures of your squirrel friend.
We had some baby squirrels on our porch roof in the spring and they are just so cute.
Kel
Like Tara, my heart was also in my throat. I get attatched to the trees around us, let alone the local critters, so I was feeling your worry! I'm so glad she's okay! So, so sweet, Anet.
Wow, so glad she came back. She is too adorable to be out there all alone and cold and hungry...poor thing..
I love you calling me Ruthie. :)
Post a Comment