Noah has been a little unfocused (like the first photo, still figuring out the camera) lately. He really needed his own school space, so I made him this corner "schoolroom."
Now he has a place to do his work and all of his supplies are at reach. We cuddle and read on the loveseat and there are drawers and shelves full of interesting things. We play soft classical music and there is always a cat or two or three visiting Noah at school.
The animal spirit who appears to the boy is to be the boy's guide for the rest of his life. The hunter never hunts and kills his doodom. Native people call it doodom, the English turned it into totem. Here's the animal spirits the "men" in my family chose for their doodoms (no I didn't send them to fast in the forest and wait for a vision.) lol!
Noah chose the wolf, Caleb chose the wise old owl, and we issued Brad the turtle.
(He was at work, but a turtle is prefect for him.)




15 comments:
Really nice post. I enjoyed seeing Noah's work place.
A camping trip/vision quest would be fun!
What a great place to go to Not School!
I love the doodom pole, VERY creative!!!
Check out...
http://www.whats-your-sign.com/index.html
(there is an animal symbol page and how to find your totem in ways other than fasting.)
and
http://www.linsdomain.com/totems.htm (this one has a great list of the animals' meanings, she used to have free info but seems to be doing readings now, the meanings list is free though.)
Enjoy!
Very cool happenings! We don't have one dedicated schoolroom either. I'm trying to make a few bundled areas, although we seem to sprawl out everywhere anyways. Isn't it fun having the cats come to school? Our little one always joins us for read aloud time.
Thanks Sandy and Runnin18, Noah has been sitting at his desk alot this evening drawing and stuff. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for the links Molly, I'll check them out tomorrow with Noah, it will be fun!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tara,
I was hoping that this would help him focus a little better. Also I am changing the way we homeschool a bit. Not so much workbook stuff, more math games and hands on stuff. He loves to read and loves history, he hates to write!
Yeah, I said to Noah today "You're a lucky kid to have cats at school!"
Looks like a cozy little area, and very boyish.
We love having homeschooling cats, too. :)
this is amazing...what a rich life noah lives(of course all of you).
i love noah's space...we had that issue too when we were homeschooling...the boys' needed a place to focus...i suppose it is the age.
Wow, Noah is very organized now.
I didn't know about the word 'doodom' changed to totem. I found it interesting the order of the animals on the doodom, with Noah's on bottom. How special this is.
For a few years I have loved the concept of sending a young man out to find his vision. I went on a vision quest a few years ago, and it was incredibly meaningful! A professor friend of mine has invited me to go to a sweat lodge one of these days, which also sounds like a good cleansing experience.
Thanks Tammy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~``````
Hey Tiff, I think you're right it's an eight year old boy thing!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Ruth, We are not sure of the correct order the totem should be, but I think the elder is on the top. ???
The vision quest sounds pretty interesting. I think we could all use a vision quest every now and then.
Caleb has gone to Indian camp a few times. (they stopped having them, funding issues.) He just loved it! He did a sweat lodge and said it was sort of freaky. They didn't let the kids stay in it too long though.
I was talking with Don on our drive to work about your post, and it makes some sense to me that the eldest would be on top, as sort of the umbrella, and likely the first to head into the great beyond. (??)
I wonder what was freaky about the sweat lodge? Freaky in a spiritual way?
Yes, freaky in a spiritual way.
Cool! Very fun and yet meaningful.
I like Noah's corner. Max always liked having a spot he could call his own on our studio.. and it felt good having him near..
A totem is a doodom.. ahhh.. We had to make totems as an art class project... I did earth, wind and fire. still have it somewhere...
This is great--having your own space is so important. We've changed rooms around before, once dedicating the entire livingroom to a learning space for a couple of years. So much love and mindfullness in your home, Anet!
Thanks Denise!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Gwen, Your totem sound really cool, if you come across it someday I'd love to see it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Amy,
This space is located at one end of the living room. I figure it's more important to allow space for learning then to have a picture prefect living room.
Post a Comment