Friday, October 3, 2008

Root beer and cornstalks...

Today I took Noah to the Michigan Historical Museum. Our favorite part was of course the Civil War section and the Native American section. We stopped into the gift shop on the way out and We bought two books for homeschooling, a yummy scented candle for me. Noah chose a harmonica, a canon pencil sharpener and a Civil War pencil.
After the museum we went to the City Market downtown, we bought two bottles of the best root beer, two cornstalk bundles, a pumpkin and some little squash.

Note: You shouldn't drive while drinking a brown bottle of root beer, you'll get some weird looks!

11 comments:

Ruth said...

Your porch looks pretty, Anet! Funny about drinking from a brown bottle while driving. :D

Don loved taking school kids to the historical museum when he taught 4th grade. I need to go one of these days myself. Do they have much on Native Michiganians?

Tara said...

I love your porch picture -- I have a yard sign that looks pretty similar!
You wild woman, you, drinking root beer while driving your child around... and during school hours, no less! ;-)

Anet said...

Thanks Ruth!

Yes, The first section in the museum is a photo display of vintage photos of Lansing, and the surrounding areas. It was really neat to see the trolley that traveled Washington Ave. downtown. My mom has told me stories about when she rode it as a child.

It has lots of other cool Michiganian stuff throughout the museum. You should definitely go soon. The gift shop is wonderful:)

Anet said...

Oh my Tara!!! ;) that's sounds so bad! Luckily I wasn't pulled over by the police.

tiff said...

perfectly FALL...love how you spent your day with Noah...and that porch is so inviting for some hot apple cider!

Tammy said...

The porch is beautiful, and I love the Indian corn.

What a nice way to spend an autumn day..... :)

denise said...

Lovely decorations! :) We are going to a farm tomorrow - should be fun.

A Slice of the Pie said...

Everything is so festively fall in your photos!

Feild trips are such a great way to learn, and I love hearing about your adventures.

Kel

Gwen Buchanan said...

That's funny Anet!!! I like seeing the books.. I love being able to reach towards a shelf and finding info that I can sit with and read in my own time... always a great educational investment...

Your home looks very inviting!!

Happy Fall!!

Amy Bradstreet said...

Sounds like a great day for you both. Have you ever made your own rootbeer? We do sometimes. (or my dh and the kids do, at least). I love your porch (and I need to lay my hands on a Obama yard sign asap.) I think your home looks warm and inviting and very festive, Anet.

Anet said...

Hey Everyone, Thanks! Noah really wants me to put up the Halloween decorations. Our new neighbor across the street has hers up, so maybe soon. We bought stuff for a graveyard this year...spooky!!!

Hey Amy,
We got a book from the library about Colonial America and there is a recipe in there for root beer, it looks pretty simple.
My dad made us root beer once and that is a great memory for me. I would love to see the recipe that you use. That would be a great homeschool project.

Blog Archive