We made butter today. We talked about how children in the Colonies had to help make butter and how there was no store to buy your food.
Shake, Shake, Shake.... 15 minutes later and....
We have butter! We had it for dinner on biscuits.
In the evening, we tried a recipe for pecan praline sauce from the colonial life book. Ummm....it didn't turn out like the book's sauce. But it still tasted great!
It didn't tell how long to cook it. Weird huh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other stuff going on with the family: Caleb has taken up the harmonica... not too bad at it either. He's working hard on his college classes and is spending a little time with a new girl. Autumn is super busy with school, newspaper, planning a Halloween party with her boyfriend and going on a few ghost hunts. I've started crocheting ugly scarves again, the kids love them. Also making a haversack (a Civil War soldier's bag) for Noah's Halloween costume. Preschool is going good. I teach science every Weds. Tomorrow is science lab at the science center for Noah, biospere is the topic. He went on a T.V. station tour with cub scouts and has been playing a game on line called Runescape. Brad has started bowling league again and is working hard as usual. The cats are good, except I stepped on Harpo's paw the other day...under foot in the kitchen as usual and now it's sore. Ugh! My mom has been at my sister's house for two weeks and will be back this weekend.




9 comments:
Anet, I love the taste test face.. Noah's butter looks so good I wish I could taste it too!!
and I like the shots with your new camera...
Oh Noah! If only you'd made that ax last week before we'd finished chopping and stacking all of our wood!
When do we get to see the ugly scarves???
I can't believe how many projects you and Noah do. It seems he is getting so much more out of being home schooled than in a public school setting.
I always enjoy seeing what is new in your life (and you are one busy lady, wow)....
Glad you shared about the other ones too.,
Those kitties are loving the buttermilk! Homemade butter is delicious, I don't think we'll ever buy store-bought again.
Ugly scarves.....I'm intrigued. Post a couple of photos, ok?
Yes! We have lots of wood Noah can help with.
I remember making butter in grade school, one of my few memories. That and apple sauce. I think Noah will be a very self sufficient man when he grows up.
Hi Gwen, That must be his contemplating face.
I'm still taking a lot of blurry photos with the new camera...I have to hold REALLY still, which is next to impossible for me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Sharon,
Noah would love to chop some real wood! He's fascinated with it. I just don't know how to give him that experience.
We counted tree rings from a tree at the end of our property, that the city had to cut down a week ago. We estimated about 180 to 200 years old.
Crocheting is a stress reliever for me...so I only do one stitch on everything I make. Nothing fancy or complicated. I'm making Caleb a black one right now and he keeps telling me to hurry up with it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Sandy, I try to make it interesting and fun as I can for him. Most of the time I fail!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tammy,
I'll post some of the one I'm working on sometime soon. It's nothing great, believe me.
I wish I knew how to knit, I tried to learn from a book...I am a hands-on learner, I need someone to give me lessons!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HI Ruth,
I sure hope he'll be self sufficient, that's what we are striving for!
We make applesauce, butter, stonesoup, cranberry sauce and gingerbread houses at the school where I work. (not all at the same time.) those cooking lessons are lasting memories for the children. All of my kids went to this preschool and they all have fond memories.
It seems as if there is hardly a better lesson than one that involves the kitchen. One day a few weeks ago we ditched most of school and had lessons on how to make jelly and pesto. It was fun.
If you lived closer I would teach you how to knit. Maybe run a youtube search and see if there are instructions for the European method. It's much easier and faster than the US method since you pick up the yarn instead of looping it around.
Great lessons, I especially love adding anything that has to do with food. I love the serious look on his face as he is taste-testing the butter. We would be happy for him to chop wood for us, we are so behind because we are still so busy in the garden
It's wonder my fat cat is still alive. She just THROWS herself in front of our feet when we are walking around. Jeez! Not ENOUGH attention?!?! Trying to commit suicide? Or murder?!?!? It's a wonder WE don't all have broken legs and hips from fallin over her!
Fun times at your place!
Post a Comment