Sunday, September 7, 2008

We've lost the battle of the dinning room!

We gave up on scraping the paint off the wood work. After weeks and weeks of work... Using the safe (no odor) stripper, scraping and sanding We hit some areas that just wouldn't give up the paint. We gave up! We now have painted the entire room with white primer.




I've chose chocolate brown for the trim and built in cabinets with a pumpkin pie color for the walls. Some people around here are liking it all white. Not me! My last week off work will be split between homeschooling and painting. Oh well, I said I wanted the room done by the fall.... so dang it, I'll get it done! I hope... anyone want to help?
I'll supply the paint, chocolate and pie!



Yum...

15 comments:

denise said...

Oh, sounds amazing!

I can't wait for the kids to be old enough to actually paint the walls...the whole process is too much with a 3 year old around at this point. I am soooo tired of cream walls and want some COLOR!!! :)

Can't wait for photos - I love rusty orange and brown - great combo.

Ruth said...

Sounds like you made the right choice, to stop and just paint. The pumpkin color will be gorgeous! I love those rich colors. And I am ready to eat me some pumpkin pie!

~Molly~ said...

That sounds really pretty! The colors you've mentioned are among my favorites!

I wish my dad would let us paint the cabinets in our kitchen. They are ugly, an old yellowish brown with high gloss finish. They'd look SO much better painted. Sigh.

Molly

Sharon said...

Surrendering is hard but the colors sound great. I'm sure it will be beautiful! I absolutely hate stripping things. It never comes off fully. Good luck with the painting!

Gwen Buchanan said...

oh for sure Anet, scraping an entire room is almost as much work as building it in the first place..

but of course all white bothers some people.. But not me!!!!.. I love it. it is my most favourite wall color for its ability to present your artwork and the calming and restful effect it has.. it makes a room feel open and fresh!!
...it does not remind me of a hospital as some people think.. the architecture of the room sees to that.. your room has beautiful bones and the white will just show them off.. My vote is White...
...the color enters the room and makes more impact when it is from the objects you put into it...

Anet said...

Thanks Denise, It's been that red color since we moved in and I'm tired of it. The red will still be in the living room. (for now!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Ruth, I'm so ready for pumpkin pie and the whole turkey dinner to go along with it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`


Keep begging your dad, maybe take over some photos of nicely paint cabinets for your sales pitch. If the are really old then I say paint them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Sharon, I really bummed about all the work we did for nothing. Most of it popped right off with little effort! We can't use the strong smelling strippers, because half the family has sensitivity to chemicals and the smells.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You know Gwen, You are so right. I love the all white rooms in the magazines when everything is white. They are very classy and romantic. I'm just not sure I could pull it off. Especially in my dinning room.
One thing for sure, being all white in there right now makes it look huge! I have to get busy now...off I go!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh Anet, I do love the colors you picked out too. I don't have all white everything, just white walls.. anyway everyone has the style that suits themselves best and that is why it is so fun to see how everyone lives...
Good luck with your painting.. I know it will be lovely however you do it..

sandy said...

Well good luck on the project and can't wait to see it finished. I think the colors sound fabulous and warm and glowy and ...yes I'll have a piece of that pie!

Tammy said...

Sorry it came to giving up, but on the upside- the colors you've chosen sound very pretty!

Tara said...

Anet, your new room sounds like it will be delicious! I hope you will share pictures...

Anet said...

Thanks Sandy and Tammy! It's all good!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Tara, I hope you're feeling better and all is well!
I will post pics when it's done.

sandy said...

How weird. My blog list indicates you've updated, but it doesn't show up here..

hmmmm

Amy Bradstreet said...

Oh this is so so frustrating! (I know, we've run into this with our own diy projects). It's so much work, but sometimes changing mid-course makes for a better design. The pumpkin and chocolate are great inspirations. I also love color on the walls and find it so soothing to be surrounded by colors found in nature.

Hope the painting goes well. Put on some great music (The Be Good Tanyas got me through re-painting my bedroom last Feb...)

Anet said...

Hey Sandy, yeah that was me being weird!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Amy!

RunninL8 said...

gimmie dat chocolate!!!
DYIs is such a tough time...
i told huz we're just hiring people to do all that stuff.
it might take 20 years,but.....

Blog Archive