Thursday, August 21, 2008

Noah's Homeschool

Here is some of our homeschooling plans for Noah's 3rd. grade year.

I guess I can't call us "Unschoolers any longer, Caleb has moved on to college and Noah is more of a "relaxed homeschooler type, or as we like to call it an "Earth Learner" how about "Relaxed Earth Learner" Yeah... I like that! We have to label ourselves, don't we? Anyways here it is...

Everyday there will be some sort of math (multiplications, fractions and some division) , reading and writing/ journaling, a spelling list. Working on Friday's presentations. What we call the "Basics" Also we will have art, science and social science/geography each week. Once or twice a week.


Subjects to be explored: Civil War, Spiderwick Chronicles, Revolutionary War, Native Americans and Pilgrims, Salem Witch Trials (Halloween unit) Medieval times, Edgar Alan Poe, Leonardo Di Vinci, Nature Studies, Lewis and Clark , to be added to as interest occur. If something pops up that he is very interested in, we can switch gears for awhile while he explores it. If something says "unit" it usually means something I put together myself. (it's the teacher thing in me.)

We are planning a trip to Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum in October. This weekend is the Civil War Muster in Jackson, MI. at The Cascades.

Weekly Schedule:

Monday: Basics, Library trip to check out new books and DVDs,

Tuesday: Basics, Every Tues. PE classes with swimming for homeschoolers at the YMCA 1 to 3 pm. Every other Tues. is Cub Scouts in the evening. Chores/recycling.

Wednesday: Basics, Wed. is my day at work to teach the preschool class by myself... exhausting.... so we will have easy Wednesdays for homeschooling. After all we all need a break mid-week! Chores.

Thursday: Basics, One Thurs. a month is a science Lab at the Science museum for homeschoolers. Extra trips during the month to explore the exhibits. We purchased a membership. Once a month, nature class for homeschoolers at Fenner Nature Center.

Friday: Basics, He will have a spelling quiz and a presentation of unit study to be giving to dad when he gets home. Dioramas, graphs, display boards, speeches, etc. (About Civil War, artists, etc...) If he gets all of his spelling words right, he get a something from the goodie box. If he gets any wrong, 50 lashes! (just kidding)

Hopefully join in some of the homeschool group's field trips, depends on the days and times. It's seems they love to pick Weds. in the mornings...when I'm at work, ugh!
Lots of reading , computer games, cooking, chores, exploring, ice skating, bowling and other fun stuff. With lots and lots of cuddling, (mom's idea)
When I'm at work on Mon., Weds. and Fri. mornings (I'm home around noon.)
Noah will spend time with his sister and or brother. Playing games, working on his work books or watching an educational video that we have planned out. They don't wake up until about 10:00 am, so it won't be too long before I'm home. We'll eat lunch and then get busy with our homeschooling on those days.


This is the plan, never writing in stone. I will not freak out if an assignment, an activity or an entire day doesn't go as planned, this is my oath! I'm might freak if there is an entire bad week!!! Wish us luck!




7 comments:

Sharon said...

I don't think you're going to need any luck. What an incredible outline!!! You are so lucky to have things like Greenfield Village, science museums and Nature Centers. And the best part of homeschooling is that it doesn't have to be forced on busy or "out of sorts" days. Sounds like the absolute best education a kid could have. But then we both seem to have similar ideas about school.

Tara said...

Can I come to your school, too? Because it really sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing your plans. I love your approach and whatever Noah is working on in that picture looks way interesting. African mask of some sort?

Tammy said...

I love reading what other homeschoolers are doing. Edgar Alan Poe.....sounds great! My oldest daughter absolutely loves reading the stories he wrote.

Anet said...

Thanks Sharon, Sometimes I worry. But then I remember that all homeschool parents have their concerns and ups and downs. I'm sure public school teachers go through the same feelings about their students.

****************************

Hey Tara, sure you can join in anytime! Noah was working on an African Mask kit. Still not finished though... I should pull it out today.

****************************

Hi Tammy, I think I have a different approach than you do, it's great that there is so many choices of how to homeschool. What works for one child may not work for another child even within a family. Like Caleb is so different than Autumn and Noah.
Yes... Edgar Allan Poe is one of our favorites! It will be fun to do some activities in October with him. We decorated our porch with Poe's 'The Raven' theme last Halloween. We put up a bunch of dead looking branches and stuck feathered black crows (ravens) in the branches and flying around the doorway. Along with some fake spiderwebs it looked creepy but not too scary. Just right!

sandy said...

What an interesting curriculum you provide for him. I would have loved to have a mom homeschool me and take me through adventures whether reading or real life.

Anet, this is great.

denise said...

Wowza! You have quite the plan! :)

Ruth said...

It is very interesting to get to see your plan, and after hearing Sharon talk about hers with Zoe. This looks brilliant! The flexibility is important, recognizing how each child learns differently.

Have fun at the Civil War muster! The weather isn't looking to great at the moment, but maybe it will clear up.

Blog Archive