Tuesday, August 19, 2008

No Free Range Kitty Here...

One of the drawbacks of a city cat is that it's just not safe to run free. Today we did a little leash training with Harpo. At first there was lots of flopping over and attacking the leash. After awhile he got the hang of walking and enjoyed a little exploring! There was some bug chasing and plenty of leaf attacks. He wasn't happy to come in the house. Poor City Kitty!









16 comments:

Sharon said...

That is so cute and you are so lucky to have someone there to chase those leaves for you. I love seeing them when they first get to go out and are amazed at every blade of grass. He looks like he might be scared of that water though?!

~Molly~ said...

We once lived in an apartment complex(very small) in the middle of a pasture in rural Oklahoma. Our cats had to be inside kitties(the best way actually) because of the coyotes and skunks. Our kitty, Junior, was about Harpo's age when he learned to walk on a harness and leash. We'd walk all over the pasture to the creek bed and back, he LOVED it.

His mom was an inside/outside kitty and managed to escape the wildlife but one time our Chinese neighbors catnapped her and I had to call the "law" to come rescue her. I feared for her safety, one of the teens in that apt had ninja weapons(the sharp, shiny kind). They were very strange people, up at all hours of the night. Kinda spooky actually.

I LOVELOVELOVELOVE Autumn's photos, btw, super talented and creative child you've got there.

Molly

Tammy said...

Oh! Katie asked me a while back if kitties could go on walks with leashes. I'll have to show her this blog post of yours so she can see it can be done. :)

So was he tired when he got home?

sandy said...

Oh, he's cute and I've never heard of anybody walking a cat...that's different.

Ruth said...

Harpo is adorable.

Tara said...

We walked our last cat, Mr. Jinx, from the time he was a baby. He would get his leash from the basket by the door and carry it over in his mouth to tell me he wanted to go walking. Our neighbors thought we were nuts but, like you, we don't live in an area that is safe for roaming.

Looks like Harpo is digging it!

Tara said...

Just noticed Spirit Tea. Love it!

A Slice of the Pie said...

My daughter always wants to walk her cat but I've been afraid that would make her likely to try to escape on her own. My older cat does know how to open the porch door so we keep it latched. I could just see the pair of them working together to get outside where it isn't safe for them.

denise said...

I had one cat that used to love going out on a leash. It was fun. Our remaining cat right now just wants to dive at birds and chipper the chipmunk so she stays in - she hates leashes too. She does love to escape when the boys accidentally leave the door open a crack, but we usually find her under a neighbors deck somewhere! ;) Cute photos!

Anet said...

Hey Sharon, He was fascinated by everything. His little head was twisting from left to right!

***********************

Hi Molly, Um... I've heard a silly rumor like, they eat cat! I would of be freaking out!

*************************

Hey Tammy, Cats can be on leashes but make sure you get the harness type! Very important. They are very good at wiggling out of a normal collar. Harpo has way too much energy to get tired at anything. He has been driving me nuts!

************************

Hi Sandy, I know I get some strange looks. They really don't walk along with you like a dog, they just go where they want to and you follow them around.
You know cats!

***************************

:) Ruth

**********************

Tara, that is so adorable that he would get his own leash when he wanted out. They are so smart!

**************************

Hi Slice of the Pie, I know what you mean! My fat cat Boo, thinks he can help himself to the great outdoors. And I had to shoo Harpo away from the door a few times after his adventure!

Anet said...

Thanks Denise, I have three cats, Bella loves the leash, Harpo did pretty good with it, and Boo has gotten so fat that he doesn't fit in the harness anymore! I guess I could buy him a dog harness.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Harpo is a sweety pie Anet!

My oldest son Zachary, always liked girls that walked cats on leashes.. I think he must have thought they had the magic touch...

Anet said...

That is so sweet Gwen!

RunninL8 said...

That little guy is just the cutest!!!!
I once had a kitty who LOVED to walk on the leash. She also drove everywhere with me when I was in college. She hung out at all my friends houses-just one of the girls. She was one unique kitty.
~sniff~

tiff said...

kitty in harness...you just need 15 more and you could run the Iditarod...giggle:)

those are awful cute photos...and i am not a cat person!

Anet said...

hey Runnin, that is so sweet, Autumn use to lug her cat around in a side bag. She would take him to the Tea House and the Cyber Cafe.

***********************

What a funny picture in my head of a cat sledding team, Tiff!

Blog Archive