Monday, August 18, 2008

A Dozen Autumn Self Portraits

These are some self portraits of Autumn that I got from her Myspace. These are not costume photos, this is pretty much how Autumn travels about her life. Vintage clothing, big bows, tons of glasses, scarves, gloves and hats are part of her everyday ware. She is quite the character. There is one shot that really looks like a young version of me...first one in the second row. Her natural hair color is a beautiful brown, which I love. She loves the red. I'm just glad it's not black anymore! She is a fun loving and talented daughter... my best friend. Oh and a damn good photographer...I'm her toughest subject to shoot. On my side bar I am featuring a White Tea Cup series she shot for one of her classes. I really love them, I will post a different one every now and then. The first one is of Sniffy and the white tea cup. It's hard to tell but Sniff is biting the rim of the saucer. I hope you enjoy them! Oh and thanks for putting up with me and my kids, I can't help but share how proud I am of them!












17 comments:

Tara said...

These are so awesome! I love the parasol and anything with netting strikes my fancy too. The girl can pull off that wonderful vintage red lipstick as well – she looks like she has lots of moxie!

I'm sort of new to your blog so forgive me if I'm asking something that's already been discussed, but did you home school Autumn all the way through or did she go to a traditional school at some point? I haven't found a ton of home schoolers with older kids so I am always interested in this.

You've got quite a talented bunch there...

RunninL8 said...

ANET!!!!!! I HAVE YOUR NYC SCHMUNSKY!!!!!! Email me your addy so that I can send it along!


GREAT pics! What a eclectic and amazing looking girl! Beautiful and unique!

Ruth said...

Wow, great work by Autumn. Self portraits are fun. Can we say 'pinup girl much'?? I can sure see that influence here.

My fave is the bottom right. Splendid!

Anet said...

Hey Tara, thanks... Autumn went to elementary public school and she homeschooled JR. High and High school. She did take some classes at the local high school. Our school district allows homeschoolers to take elective classes at the schools. It's kind like the best kept secret though.
Caleb did the same thing. It gave them some time to hang with their public school friends. They took art, computer graphics, choir, etc.
I wonder if it is the same where you live? Do you know?
Our school district could count the homeschoolers on count day and receive full funding for them. It's all a money thing!

Anet said...

Thanks Runnin18, I sent you an e-mail, so excited!

********************

Thanks Ruth, pin-up girl oh boy!
I like that photo too, and the one with the pink parasol are my faves.

Sharon said...

I LOVE them all!!! Autumn you just drive me nuts with how good you are! They are ALL incredible but I agree that the demure slide long glance in the parasol shot is amazing.
I'm very excited to see more of the tea cup series too!

Anet said...

Thanks Sharon, Autumn is working on her first newspaper article. She gets to chose the subject, write it and photograph it. She is doing it on a music venue that's downtown for local bands and artist. Of course her boyfriend's band has played there so his photo is in the article.
She also is asking Loring about his mom, she was the advisor to the paper for about 15 years. They are looking for old copies of the newspaper for the 50th anniversary.
Small world isn't it!

Sharon said...

Talk about synchronicity! That'll be so great if they can come up with an old copy that she worked on. If they do maybe she'll let you post about it. What a neat story.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Holey!!! wow!!! this is one talented girl!! Look Out!!!

Tammy said...

That last one is my favorite. I love the striking contrasts in all of the photos.

I wish I could pull off those great accessories and the red lipstick! She looks great with them. :)

tiff said...

Autumn is incredibly photogenic...love all the faces of Autumn...fun times! What a great collection she will have throughout her life...she could make a timeline from all her self portraits.

sandy said...

These are great and she looks so different in each one. Keep talking about those kids, its' fun to read.

Ruth said...

That's so cool about Loring's mom!

And what music venue? Peter played at the Mac the other night (is that the right name?). We went to hear him, but there were so many bands, his wasn't going on until after 11, and that's just way past my bed time. So we met him and the band at Moriarity's for a burger and went home.

Anet said...

Thank you everyone for the sweet comments. I can't even get someone else to take a good shot of me, let alone trying a self-portrait. I was pretty amazed.

****************************
Hey Ruth,
The venue in Autumn's article is Basement 414, it's located in the alley behind the Nuthouse on Mich. Ave. It's an all ages venue, alcohol free. I've let Caleb go there and sometimes to Mac's when it's an all ages show. Although I really don't care for allowing him to go to Mac's, it just looks kinda of rough on the outside, I've never been in it myself.
I used to waitress at Moriarity's
Pub back in my earlier 20's and I played in a dart league there. That was so much fun!
It's a great place. The food used to be really good, is it still?
I haven't been there in... oh gosh at least over 20 years.
I don't venture out much since I've had kids! :)

Amy Bradstreet said...

She's lovely, Anet. And she has a great eye. I love the bows and Veronica Lake hair on her.

Tara said...

Anet,

Thanks for taking the time to let me know more about how you are doing what you do with the schooling. Obviously, it is working!
I think I really need to push my school district a little more about what they will do for me. They are not forthcoming with anything. It's just fill out the paper, turn it in, and let us know how everything worked out in June. Hhhmm. I would love to get some loaner science equipment and have Tess involved in drama or something so she doesn't become a hermit like her mama. :-)
You have inspired me to dig a little deeper and let loose a little more. I'm sure Tess will be sending you a thank you note for that last bit shortly!
Sorry this reply took so long. It's been a busy week.

Anet said...

Thanks Amy!

*****************
Hey Tara,
Hope something comes about with the school. I know we are very lucky here in Michigan. We don't have to report anything or turn in any paper work. We just homeschool with out any interference. We had no clue our local high school allowed homeschoolers to take electives until another homeschooler told Autumn that he was doing it. The teachers were really nice to them and it worked out great.

Blog Archive