Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Muster

We had a great time a The Civil War Muster!

Noah recognizes the drummer from his camp. ~~~~~~ President Lincoln in a conference.

This camp looked pretty comfy...

Our picnic basket and blanket ~~~~~~~ We shared a shady spot with some lovely ladies.

Noah played Civil War in the woods with a group of boys, he had so much fun! Most of them were homeschoolers. They played for two hours in there. He was first a Union Soldier but then sided with the Confederates. I think you call that a "traitor." They said he was a Confederate spy who dressed like a Yankee Solider.

Caleb did come with us!!! Yay!! ~~~~~~~~~~The cannons were so LOUD!

The Union Army won The Battle of Wilson's Creek ~~~~~Some dead and dying...

This camp fire smelled so wonderful. ~~~~~ Noah learning about Confederate Money.

11 comments:

Tara said...

Wow, does that look neat! There are some mock battles and renn faires around here that I wanted to take Tess too but I decided to hold off until we actually study those subjects. They will be more meaningful then.
It looks like Noah had a great time. I love that he found a nice group of homeschool kids to play with, even if they did brand him a traitor. LOL.

A Slice of the Pie said...

What fun!

Kel

Tammy said...

Oh, that is so cool! Thanks for sharing it and the photos.

I think that's one thing I enjoy so much about reading blogs, is being able to see what is going all over the country and world. I love learning, and blogs have been a great avenue for that!

Sharon said...

Are your ears still ringing??? Great that Caleb went although he missed his chance for a little teenage rebellion by not wearing tie dye and flowers in his hair! :)

Your photos are beautiful!!!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Great photographs Anet.. I can just imagine it was a boy's dream... Noah must have had the time of his life...

A group of re-enactors visited the village about 5 years ago and set up tents and lived the life for a week.. They invited everyone to tour the encampment... then there were the camp followers...


Is that cloud over Caleb's head... him steaming?? just joking ...

Anet said...

Hi Tara, It was a wonderful summer of learning about the Civil War for Noah. 2 Civil War day camps and then the Muster. The cherry on top is playing war in the woods with the other boys!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HI Kel!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Tammy,
That is a great part of blogging! :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Sharon, Caleb wear tie dye, that's a funny thought! He hasn't been feeling good so he made some good decisions on not going to his friends for the weekend and I was so happy he wanted to go with us. He actually enjoyed it. I gave him a big hug when we got home and told him I happy I was that he went:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Gwen,
Noah will remember this for the rest of his life. He was soooo dirty when he came out of the woods. He had the best time! He said it was a real adventure!

That does look like smoke coming from Caleb's head! He really did enjoy himself and mentioned on the way home we should go to one in Ohio that a lady was telling us about with 2000 reenactors. This one had about 500 reenactors. I was amazed at the authentic feel of the camps and their costumes were wonderful!

sandy said...

Enjoyed the photos. How fun for Noah to get to go there and see and learn so much.

denise said...

Reenactments were a big deal where I grew up in Missouri. People spent a lot of time and money getting the costumes just right and traveling around the country from battle to battle. Always an interesting crowd! They have some up here too - we haven't gone due to the loud booming and gunfire yet. Too much for little people.

Looks like he had a fun time!

~Molly~ said...

Looks like you had a wonderful day! Glad Caleb ended up going too, he made a wise decision.

Ruth said...

I love seeing this through your photos! That tent just draws me in, yes comfy! How cool that Noah could play so long, that is one way to really get the connection with that history.

A group (maybe the same one?) comes to Don's school and does reenactments too, but it's not in such a grand scale. Where was this located?

Anet said...

Hey Ruth, This was at The Cascades in Jackson, MI. Noah was loving it, so did the rest of us and we didn't even get to play war in the woods. I really wanted to!

Blog Archive