It's been a long time since I've posted about Sniffy. She's doing well and still visits me for some goodies. She built a new large nest in a branch that hangs in front of Noah's bedroom window. I've counted six Sniffy nest in the tree, I guess they always make a new one in the late summer/early fall for the up coming winter. They have extra back up nest and storage nest.
Sniff's tail is changed a bit this summer. It's not as fluffy as it usually is, not sure why. She seems to have a huge appetite right now, I think she is fattening up for winter. I took my neighbor over some tomatoes and she gave me a bunch of bird seed and 22 suit cakes in different flavors. I put some of the bird food with cracked corn and sunflower seeds in a pile by Sniff's tree. She came right down and dug in. I'm not sure if squirrels like suit cakes or not. We'll have to see...
Sniff's tail is changed a bit this summer. It's not as fluffy as it usually is, not sure why. She seems to have a huge appetite right now, I think she is fattening up for winter. I took my neighbor over some tomatoes and she gave me a bunch of bird seed and 22 suit cakes in different flavors. I put some of the bird food with cracked corn and sunflower seeds in a pile by Sniff's tree. She came right down and dug in. I'm not sure if squirrels like suit cakes or not. We'll have to see...




10 comments:
Cute!
We have a few chipmunks who have decided to live in our yard and on our covered deck. They yell at me in the mornings for honey roasted sunflower seeds. ;) And eat some of my tomatoes. Enough to go around. We call ours chipper - and chipper takes all the birdseed and buries it all over. ALL over. But burying seed doesn't actually give them a store of food for winter. It just sprouts. So we have millet, sunflowers and every kind of plant growing all over our landscaping - even in our potted herbs on the deck!!! So funny.
Rambling. Ahem. But anyway. Cute!
That's so funny Denise, It's awfully nice of Chipper to help you out with the planting.
I have found peanuts sprouting all around the yard and in my flower boxes. I was thinking of starting a peanut plantation with squirrel labor, except I don't think Michigan has the right climate for good peanuts crops.
Funny stories Anet and Denise!!
Oh, I'm sure they would love suet... I think the squirrels used to steal moms' bird suet all the time.. she had to crazily lash it to the tree so there would be any left, at all, for the birds!!
All this time I thought Sniffy was a boy! lol
Her tail DOES look different. I wonder what's up with that!
I love your Sniffy stories. She's adorable. We lived in a house for a time where the previous owners had their own "Sniffy." She used to come to the kitchen window and tap dance back and forth until we put food out for her. The first time it happened I totally freaked -- no one had told us about this -- but after that it was very fun.
Do you give Sniffy extra rations for winter?
Funny about the peanut plantation! I think I recall seeing squirrels hanging from our suet hanger.
Is Pam the one who gave you the stuff? She sure does love animals! She and her sister the vet.
It's so good to see Sniffy again. Cute as always.
Sounds like a great exchange beween your neighbor and you.
Hey Gwen, I saw Sniffy this morning eyeing the suet cake. I have hanging on the bird feeder. We have a squirrel proof feeder and Sniffy learned long ago it was off limits. I think I'll hang one on her tree for her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Hi Ruth, It actually was a different neighbor. We did talk about how we haven't seen much of Pam lately. Busy...Busy...lady!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tammy, We thought Sniff was a boy too for a long time! lol...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tara, Yes, we feed Sniffy a lot more in the winter. That's when she comes peeking in the windows and doors to let me know she here. In the summer she doesn't do it as much.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Sandy, Sniffy says, "HI!!!"
I wonder if Sniffy lined her new nest with tail fur? Thats so great that she'll be sleeping near Noah all winter!
Hi Sharon,
When the leaves fall I think we'll be able to see the nest really good. That will be fun!
I always reconized Sniff from the shape of her tail from a distance. Now it's hard to know if it's her. But if I call her she will come to me. I'm sure just to check for food. I know that Sniffy has her own agenda when it comes to our relationship...FOOD! That's all she really cares about. That's okay though, she still brings me joy. :)
Post a Comment