Saturday, July 26, 2008

My first attempt to make something from a gourd.

Remember the dried gourd I bought the other day at the Farmers Market?
Well come along and see what I came up with...

Using a steady object to draw my cut line.
I used a candle the height I wanted the bowl to be.
I turned the gourd to make the line even.

I scored the line several times with a kitchen knife.
Then carefully cut through with a serrated knife.
I cleaned out the gourd and did some sanding inside and out.
I decided to do a leaf design in fall colors.

I loosely sketched the leaves with a black colored pencil.
After I traced the leaves I free handed some of the details in.

Fall colors of gold, burgundy, orange and metallics of gold and bronze. Acrylic paints.

I first painted the background with the bronze metallic paint.
Let it dry for a bit.



Then I painted the leaves layering many colors and metallics.

More drying.... then I retraced with the pencil.

I painted the inside of the bowl also.

One step left to spray it with a semi-gloss varnish.

One bowl ready for some Autumn trinkets and treasures!

15 comments:

sandy said...

I AM SO IMPRESSED~~~~!

This turned out beautifully.

sandy said...

INSIDE JOKE: This would make a beautiful ashtray.

Anet said...

or salsa dish? hehehe!

Tara said...

So pretty! I'm impressed and inspired!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Wow!!! I love it.. beautiful careful work Anet.. I love the way you used the cup to to stabilize your pen when drawing the circle and your detail work .. so wonderful.. Gorgeous...
you are full of surprises!!!!!

No wonder your kids are so talented!!! Thank you so much for showing your steps!!

Sharon said...

That is amazing Anet! It is so beautiful!! I can't believe what an incredible surface you were able to get..... so rich looking, and I love the leaf design. I am completely wowed!

Tammy said...

OH. MY. GOSH. Wow! I am so impressed, the bowl is absolutely beautiful!

Anet said...

Thanks Tara!!!
**************

Thank you Gwen for the kind and encouraging words. As I am just a crafter, not an artist by any means.
***************

Thanks Sharon, The metallic paints were prefect on the gourd. They are thin enough to let the imprefection of the gourd to show through and I really liked that!
******************

Thank you Tammy, it was really quiet easy!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Anet, you are an Artist with great humility... the best kind!!

Ruth said...

Anet, brilliant!! Wow! Don grew gourds last year, and I haven't done a thing with them. I really really like how natural your artistry looks, keeping the sense of a natural object, with a human touch. Very inspiring, so so lovely. Thanks for showing the whole process.

Anet said...

Thanks Gwen!

*******************

Thank you Ruth! You should give it a try with yours. It was a fun project. I'm going back to the market next week for a few more!
When I was thinking of design, the most natural thing that popped in my head was fall; leaves/gourds. I've had a few other design ideas more on the Native American side that I might try next time.

Pam stopped over yesterday and gave Noah some polished stones and a Native American book she bought at the Smithsonian on her recent trip. She always thinks of him... so sweet! Even when she travels all the way to Africa!!!

denise said...

Love it! I haven't played with dried gourds in ages -they are easily available every fall around here. Hmmmm.

Lovely colors!

Anet said...

Thanks Denise. It was a super fun medium to work with!

TCallihan said...

Wow! Completely inspiring. I love reading your blog. Tracie

Amy Bradstreet said...

I agree, really beautiful! I might have to get me some gourds!

Blog Archive