Thursday, July 17, 2008

Last summer's craft project.

Jack-o-man & Big Boo Kitty

Martha & Moonman

Every summer I try a new craft, this summer
was felted sculptures. Last summer was
Casting mache' sculptures. The heads
are made from air dry clay.

Full view of Moonman.

The 3 of Hearts

I was going to do a whole Alice in Wonderland series, But this is as far as I got.

17 comments:

Sharon said...

I LOVE these sculptures! Did you like doing them? Why did you stop? They are really great, animated and playful. The colors are just beautiful! The Alice series would be perfect for that medium. I can just see the Cheshire cat and his evil grin!

Anet said...

Thanks Sharon, They were super fun to make, time consuming and messy.
I don't know why I didn't keep going. I get frustrated if I make a bad one and then I give up.
The Alice series is something I should keep working on. There is soooo.... many great characters. I love the tea party with the door mouse in the tea cup, the Cheshire cat, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum....
The Halloween series is straight out of my head, with cues from Tim Burton. I love his stuff. It's so crazy!
The witch is named after my childhood bully! Looks just like her! lol....It gave me some satisfaction!

Sharon said...

That would be so cool if you decide to take them back up again. You could open your own etsy account. I love the Tim Burton influence and that Martha has a history. You should stick a pin in her for me! :)

Sharon said...

Okay that was horrible. Don't stick a pin in her..... Peace!

Anet said...

No it's not! She is horrible. Ummmm I'm not sure if she's out of prison yet. For real!!!

RunninL8 said...

Those are fantastic!!! What are they made out of?!?!? So whimsical. I can see them strategically placed around a yard or garden...
I had a "Martha", too! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anet said...

Thanks Runni18, They are casting mache' material sort of like the stuff they use to mend a broken bone and air dry clay for the head with styrofoam and heavy gage wire for the forms.
They wouldn't hold up outside for too long, but they would be very cute in the garden!

tiff said...

these are awesome...love how cute they are! what a fun summer project...and would love to see them hangin' around the yard.

Anet said...

Hey Tiff! Thanks, I missed you! Are you there yet? I can't figure out how to leave a comment on your new site. I'll have to work on it! Hope all is well!

denise said...

So cool!!!! I LOVE love love sculpting heads and odd little figures in clay. So awesome. I love those!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Anet, I love these little guys, too! .. they are so fun and colorful and imaginative..
I'm glad to see them up closer... I was always peeking at them when they were on the side bar..

Noah must want to play with them... I really love the king of hearts!!
I agree .. you should make a whole series of these characters.. You are very talented!

Anet said...

Thanks Gwen, Someday I'll get back to them. I appreciate your complement! Sculpting seems to be my favorite art; Clay, felting, paper mache'.
I struggle with anything 2 dimensional... I can't draw a stick!

Tara said...

Ooooooo.... I love MoonMan. I want to adopt him and have him add whimsy, fun and a little mischief to my house. He is sooooo cute. You need to keep making these little babies. They are too fantastic to keep cooped up in your mind's eye – let them out to share with the rest of us!

Anet said...

Thanks Tara, Moonman is my favorite! I've made some other stuff I'll try to post sometime. But moonman is by far the best.

Tammy said...

How freaking cool!

I'm so impressed! :)

Anet said...

Thanks Tammy!

Amy Bradstreet said...

These really are amazing! Moonman is wonderful. We love Tim Burton here, too. I'd love to see a tutorial, but sculpting has never been a strong point for me. I admire your ability and creativity with these! Make more, make more!

Blog Archive