
I once read somewhere from a unschooling mom, (I'm thinking Sandra Dodd) I'm sorry can't recall, but she said she places interesting objects in the path of her children. That really stuck in my head. I've kind of done that all there lives, but I would usually say "look what I got for you.... you could do this or that with it." Now I just place them and keep quite. Now... it's not me, wonderful mom's idea... it's theirs. Wonderful them! I saved a big piece of cardboard and two plastic bowl and placed them where Noah would eventually find them. After a day of running and playing outside as I was making dinner... he found them this is what happen: (The only interference was me taking pictures and Harpo wanting to join in.)
(Please excuse the crazy looking woodwork we are in the midst of scraping off the paint.)
First he did a little catapulting... then made his own scales.




Then he tried is hand at flying...and he didn't even need me!




16 comments:
Yes, I love this concept. This, and doing something myself and watching it fuel something in Tess. The minute I say, "You should..." or "Why don't you..." it is the kiss of death. I found a loom given to us several years ago tucked away in a corner and forgotten. This fall I'm going to string it and leave it out on the table and see what happens. I love how Harpo was right there to help out!
Strewing is where I collect those ideas!
I love that webpages can have photos so easily these days! I enjoyed your post.
Ahhhh...."I just strew their paths with interesting things" Sounds better! I'm just glad I got the author right! I'm going back to the Strewing page to read more!!!
Thanks Sandra!
Wow, I had just bought Noah a new deck of playing cards and a box of dice the other day. And I was wondering what kind of dice games there were to play with him. At Sandra's Strewing site there is links for games with card and dice games and other games. very cool!
I love the flying shot. His expression looks as if he wasn't expecting you to be there.
Hey Tara, I was laughing cause my kids are the same way! I can't suggest anything without grunts and moans!
Hi Sharon, Yeah I was finishing making dinner when I heard all the jumping, so I snuck around the corner. I usually frown upon jump off the furniture so maybe that was the reason for the face!
I like your experimenting Anet.. Never a dull moment at your house is there?!! Fun!
Well he is certainly resourceful!
When my kids were little, their Uncle, would come in the house while we were gone, and hide a present in each of their rooms, and wait to see how long it would take them to find it. Sometimes, because of their messy closets, it could be weeks!!!
Not the same concept but it reminded me of that.
I love strewing. Ohp. I see she replied already! I read that when my boys were babes and so often re-arrange things, move things to new spots, pull out this, put away that. They always find everything, and since it is in no particular order - they do what they will with it, which is usually much more creative than I would have thought of anyway. I love that.
Good idea with the bowls! :)
How fun Sandy! What a great idea!!
Noah used to have a secret pal. For a year, once a month. There would be a bag or something filled with goodies for Noah on the porch. We never knew when it would show up. It was so much fun!
*************************
Hi Denise, Yes I read it so long ago myself and didn't remember it right but the concept was the same. It's really wonderful to watch Noah find the objects and figure out what to do with them. I am suprised most of the time! He LOVES any type of box. He stores them under his bed and in his closet. I can barely get rid of them. Also cardboard tubes! I've always told my husband at Christmas we should just get Noah empty boxes and tubes!
That idea is just the COOLEST!!! I am humbled by the imagination of a child-and I swear homeschooled-waldorfesque kids have such rich, almost bottomless, yet easily accessable imaginations!
And, yup. Boxes. Up there with sticks, rocks, and silkies!!!
Wow. Even the kitty benefits!!!!
Hey Runnin18, I was getting worried about children now a days and the ability to use their imaginations.
If I say no TV or computer! It's wonderful to see him play or create something. We will definitely be turning off the electronics a bit more! I am also going to make room for some of his stuff in the living areas, he seems not to eager to play in his room with it. But if I put the legos downstairs, he will grab them and start building. We've been playing chess and checkers alot lately. Oh, Harpo is another box lover!
I used to do this when my oldest were toddler/preschool age but they haven't needed my "help" in several years. Sarah just turned 8 and she doesn't either, sniff. It was fun while it lasted though!!!
When I first started with the unschooling I visited an unschooling forum online. There were people who were having a total fit because they believed that if you placed something in front of your kids(like you did) that you were "coercing" them. It was the weirdest concept I'd ever heard of. I mean, they didn't think you should even leave magazines(like Smithsonian, and other educational types) on the coffee table because it might influence your child. This caused me great distress for a few years before I figured out that they were all nuts.
It is good to see other unschoolers, especially famous ones, embracing this "strewing" idea!LOL Now I must go visit her site!
Molly
ps, I've got no news on the job situation other than his interview with another equipment company went VERY well and they are doing a background check today. Hopefully we'll know something by later this afternoon(friday).
Hey Molly, that's is a radical way to think. Sometimes I think some of them go way too far! I have a big stack of National Geographics and Smithsonians sitting on a shelf all the time. How are children suppose to experience those things if parents don't bring them in?
You're right they are nuts! Sandra has a really good concept with the strewing.
Good news on the job. I hope all goes well!
Strewing is such a great concept! I am going to try some kind of version in my classroom. It leaves everything to imagination. Great idea!
Post a Comment