
It seems that I'm pretty much on my own around here when it comes to living Green, saving energy, saving money! I've been trying really hard, but others around here don't seem to care very much. Brad is trying a bit. He hangs up laundry on the line. He likes the free energy part. Noah cares about the environment, nature and animals ... his chore is to get all the recycling out on the curb on Monday evenings for Tuesday morning pick up. Which didn't get done this week! Caleb is pretty good about turning lights out but that's about all he does. My mother is constantly throwing away recyclables that I have to pull out of the trash. And Autumn well.... I get a little frustrated with her energy use!
Now as far as the food goes.... the kids can't seem to grasp the fact that groceries have sky rocketed! You see I have no wages coming in during the summer and poor Brad has been working 6 days a week to try to keep our heads above water! So... the kids pass out food and drinks to all of their friends, it never used to bother me but I'm sorry things are tight right now!!! I find so much wasted food in the trash, in their rooms, downstairs. It's just ridiculous. Somewhere someone is starving and we just waste! Caleb's friend came to spend the night 3 weeks ago this Friday.... he's still here! All I know is he's having a tough time at his grandmother's house right now, so I guess he staying here for now. No one really said "is it okay mom and dad?, this is whats going on"....... He just kept staying .... until I had to do the 20 questions game with Caleb and I'm still in the dark as to what the problem is. Soooo another mouth to feed. But he really doesn't eat much which worries me. And there's been a hand full of Caleb's other friend staying over here and there also.
Okay I'm done ranting and raving for now, thanks for listening! I won't even go into the lack of help around the house right now, I'll save that for another day.




16 comments:
Anet I can so relate to your post. The green thing, yes, when there is more in the house than just you, it's hard to get everybody on board. But it sure sounds like you guys are doing pretty good with it.
I can't tell you the number of times that one of my son's friends moved in, because of troubles at home. In the end, as you look back, you will give yourself lots of credit for being kind of a safe haven for a kid in need. At some point, it will have to be resolved or figured out why...but I think its' great you are kind of allowing it right now..
Thanks Sandy, I just wish they could be more open about it. Usually the grandmother calls and keeps a close eye on him when he visits. I haven't heard a word from her in the 3 weeks that he's been here.
Caleb starts college Aug. 18th and it needs to be figured out by then... I hope. I'm surprised at my husband being so good with it!
I really appreciate your kind words and you're right about it. My sister has let a bunch of her kid's friends stay with her and I used to think she was crazy for it!
Got some food advice for you! Buy a 10 pound bag of baking potatoes, a big hunk of cheese, some butter and other assorted fixin's and let those boys get their carb energy relatively cheap(well, moreso than cheese-its or chips). Ryan is hooked on baked potatoes(just butter and salt) and eats several every day.
We have a Ryan friend here now, 14, whose mom is in the middle of a break-up with her latest babydaddy. Sigh. She has 6 kids but thankfully we usually only have 1 or 2 of them here at a time.
Molly, still very sick possibly the flu
I sure hope you feel better soon!
Caleb hates potatoes! Noah used to hate them and all of the sudden he loves them! KIDS!!!
They do eat the really cheap Ramon Noodles, it's like 25 cents a pack. They all love that stuff. I do buy it by the case. Caleb's friend eats it without cooking it! That can't be too good for you. Take care Molly. It's good to hear someone else takes in kids like you and Sandy:)
Hates potatoes??? Well that is too bad! They are cheap and healthy for him!
I love raw ramen noodles too but they are loaded with nasty fats so I don't endulge often. When I do, I make a cabbage slaw and a vinagrette dressing sometimes with soy sauce and crumble the ramen in that. There are recipes with mandarin oranges, chicken and all sorts of other goodies but who has time for that?
Hi Anet!
I just stopped in real quick but have to leave to take Zoe to karate. I didn't want to leave just a quick comment so I will come back later and comment when I have time to be thoughtful.
Sure hope things get settled soon for you, Anet. It is a bit of a dilemma. I hate seeing wasted food too especially with the cost of it or the time it took to make.. Hope the grandmother of the boy doesn't think it was ok for him to move right in.. Sometimes people don't think!
Despite all of the frustrations and annoyances what it all boils down to are those soulful eyes on your new header (which is gorgeous by the way). While it may not seem like it at every moment families are well worth the aggravation. I remember once when I was Noah's age my mom went on strike for the better part of a week. I'm not sure if we were any more help afterward but it certainly made an impression on me! :)
I hope Caleb's friend comes to terms with his Grandma. Good luck, hopefully things will get back to normal soon. Hugs.....
It is hard being a mom. I'm the oldest of 4, and my youngest brother is 15 years younger than me...so I remember when he hit the age when there were all kinds of people living downstairs at my moms house and was like, Uh, HELLOOOOO??? She never had any idea why half of them were living there either. Always some silly story - but they magically were gone back to their home just fine when she got a $300 phone bill or something.
But ANYWAY. ;P
We try hard to live lightly on the planet as much as we can. My boys are younger - but it is more of a mom follows everyone around and cleans up after them and turns off everything kind of thing. They do realize that much in our home is organic or earth friendly - and that we try NOT to waste and recycle everything, but it can be a challenge.
Hope things balance out. I have found that the hotter it gets, the more chaos ensues.
First off, I'm digging the new header. Very nice.
We don't have a ton of kids in the house so food doesn't disappear too quickly but there were issues with waste. Basically, I just stopped buying junk or anything other than fruit or yogurt that was easy to munch on. The healthy food I make at dinner gets eaten because the family is hungry, the food costs less because it's from the CSA and I stopped spending $ on snacks and Vitamin Waters. I never made a big deal about it... I did lots of "forgetting." Oops, I forgot chips, you'll just have to do without until I can get to the store again. Oops, I forgot again. Have a banana.
Blessings to you for letting your houseguest stay. I remember one very cool mom like yourself: my good friend's mother. I never camped out for weeks but knowing I could show up at her house whenever meant so much to me. My guess is that child is appreciating your hospitality and patience more than you know.
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure of what to do. I think tomorrow I'm making a certain two teenage boys do some yard work, Damn it! This is not a flop house, they can pitch in and help! I can't stand laziness... teens should be learning, working or get out! (Okay... I would really never make them get out) Caleb pushes Brad and I to our limits with the lazy thing! Autumn is a hard worker at her job but really lazy at home. Noah is my best worker believe it or not. He always wants to help!:)
wow, no phone call in three weeks!!! hmmmm...you may have him longer than first thought..Is his college close to where you live.
Will sure be interested in how this is resolved.
I knowwww about the recycling.
And I know about feeling like you're carrying the weight of the household - not now, but when the kids were still home.
One time, they complained about doing the dishes (I mean they complained more than once, but this one time . . .), and I said, 'ok halt, let's have a family meeting.'
I took the four of us into the living room, sat everyone down. Handed out pieces of paper and pens. I said, draw a circle. Everyone drew a circle. I said, ok, divide the circle into pieces of pie, each one representing what you think each of us contributes to the household. Done. Then I said, ok on the other side of the sheet, write down all the things you do to contribute to the household. Ok done.
First, the kids both drew circles with four nice equally divided pieces of pie. !!!! AS IF!! Second, each person read off their list of contributions, starting with the youngest, but ending with me (Don's actually older than me). We had to laugh at some of the kids' contributions, like 'I make people laugh.'
Well, let me just say, that when I was done reading my list - last - the other three sat there with their mouths hanging open. They didn't know about all those invisible things I did, like the banking. I have to say, life was not the same after that. Did they always do their part and not complain? No. But their attitude was transformed. And they still talk about that day, how it opened their eyes.
I am not the silent martyr type, can you tell?
And oh, now? I'm afraid if Don and I divided up the circle, his piece would be WAAAY bigger than mine.
I’m glad I don’t have boys!!!!
RUTH!!!! I am on my knees worshiping you!!!! What a GREAT idea!!!!! Kiss kiss kiss!!!! I am genuflecting and kissing your ring(if you wear one)!!!!!!!!!!!
I was going to comment on kids and conservation: What's with 'em!?!?!
We have always been good role models for turning off light, using minimal water, and recycling(We have HUGE blue bins neatly set up). We've always tried to make it all fun while trying to instill a love for mother earth, nature, wildlife, etc. and a sense of stewardship for caring for it all. So...WHATS WITH ALL THE LIGHTS BEEING LEFT ON IN THE HOUSE?!?!?!? It's summer in ALASKA!!! The only semi-darkness is around one in the morning!!! And WHY do I find paper, plastic, cans and cardboard in the trash EVERYDAY!?!?!?!? Iiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!~ runs from room pulling hair and screaming....~
Ok, I'm back. Calmed down. Do they just "get it" when they grow up? Does any of our guiding register at some point? Are there any BOOKS out there that may help give a more creative, enlightening, enticing boost to what we try to instill?
Maybe I should post this on MY blog as well!!!!
Rant over.
The baked potato idea ROCKS as well!!!
Sorry I've been NO help Anet! Hope these other great ideas do!!!!
Katie is pretty good at "getting it" but the rest in my family are hopeless. I feel like it's a constant uphill climb. Tiring and frustrating...... If I didn't so firmly believe in living as greenly as possible, I'd throw in the towel.
Ruth what a great idea!
I think I'll try that. Rounding them all up at once may be bit of a problem though!
******************
Runnin18 and Tammy, well it's good to know my family is not the only ones having trouble being GREEN!
Thanks, that makes me feel better:)
Post a Comment