Sunday, July 6, 2008

Bullies...

Well... We have a little drama going on and I'm not sure how to handle this anymore!
A few years a go, some renters moved into the house behind ours. A woman, her son (2yrs. older than Noah) and her boyfriend. Everything was fine until the son wanted to play with Noah. OK, great. Something felt weird right off the bat with this child. I couldn't put my finger on it. So as time went on I soon realised that this child is not someone I wanted Noah playing with.
Here's the list:
1. I stopped him from throwing a brick at another child's head who was riding a bike.
2.He was throwing M&M's at passing cars and a lady stopped to tell me about my son's behavior. I called Noah out and she said oh not him, the bigger child did it. Oh the one running home, slamming his door!
3. I caught him lighting dry leaves on fire next to my garage, his mother seemed un-interested.
4. Swears like a truck driver
5. Lies
6. Steals from the neighborhood children
7. Is very passive aggressive.
8. Pulled a big butcher knife out and threaten Noah and another boy with it. (His mom ran in the house and wouldn't answer the door when she saw me coming over about it.) Another mom had called her on the phone. No punishment was giving to the son.
9. Bullies Noah anytime he finds Noah alone. Tried to shove Noah into the street once.
Now the problem with the mom and boyfriend.
1. They could care less about his behavior. They won't answer the door when you try to confront them.
2. Had the police storm their house twice in the year they lived there. For drugs.
3. Never let other children in their house but wants their son to play elsewhere.
4. Loud and rude.
OK, so they were evicted late last summer, they only moved three blocks away. They abandoned a very sweet cat named Bob who we took care, litter trained and found him a good home. Then I find out from the house's owner that they left 4 more cats in his house with no food or water. Not to mention they owed him thousands of dollars.
Now this boy found out that we were taking in bob and was so mad. (even though they left him to fend for himself) that's when he really started to bully Noah. He told Noah that his mom gave him permission to punch Noah in the face! Noah said to him "Go ahead, but I'll punch you back" (He didn't punch Noah).
This boy happens to play sometime with one of Noah's best friends a few house down from us. Now Noah's friend's father is a pastor and they are very sweet people. They tell Noah to forgive this boy. OK.... fine. Noah has forgiving over and over. But I put my foot down and said No more! He's too dangerous to play with. Oh the knife incident happened at their house! They still that that kid come over! So I told Noah if the kid comes over to his friends and Noah is there, Noah is to come straight home!!!! So that's what he does. Fast forward to the 4th of July......
Brad took Noah to a store to buy the fireworks and this kid and the "boyfriend" was there. The boyfriend said in the store,"Look there's Noah the brat". Brad didn't hear this but Noah did. Then in the parking lot the guy approaches Brad and says: "Hey do me a favor and tell Noah to stop telling everyone "A" tried to burn your garage down!" Brad said Well I'll talk to him, Noah
said I only told one person (his friend) that "A" could of burned down our garage. The man then proceeds to call Noah a little Bastard. Brad told him to stop talking to Noah or else! and some other choice words were exchanged. They came home and were both very upset. Noah felt sick to his stomach over this. I tried my best to calm him and just carry on with our plans. When we got home from the fireworks, we were in the front yard. Brad was ready to light a firework. The guy drives around our corner and yells: "Asshole!" to Brad. Of course with my hot Sicilian blood I spouted off something I would usually not say! He does not need to drive around our corner to get to his house. Whew...... Now my problem is what should I do? Should I ban Noah from his best friends house?, talk to his best friends parents?, (they have no clue about the drug bust) I didn't feel it was my place to blab it all over the neighborhood. Now I am on the Internet. oh well! How do you stop the bullying? Now the boyfriend a grown man, is bullying!
I hate this. We just want them to leave us alone. Now I understand why the son acts the way he does! What a great role model. The worst part is what it's doing to Noah , my sweet boy with the golden heart! Now he's seen his parents react to this idiot. And we probably didn't use the best judgement at the time. Ugh! Do you have any advise? I know confronting these people will not work, either they wouldn't answer the door or it would get really ugly, really fast! I'm very concerned for Noah safety and Brads. The boyfriend is a big, fat, butched haired, ghetto type!
Not to mention a drug dealer! yikes!!!

Note: Bullies...Isn't this one of my reasons not to send Noah to the Lansing Schools? He's a homeschooler being bullied for goodness sakes!

*****UPDATE: I talked with Noah's friend's mother yesterday. She was appalled by the boyfriend's behavior. She said she knew the boy doesn't have it easy and was trying to give him somewhere he could come to that a good environment, I told her that was wonderful! She said she will make sure the two's paths will not cross as best that she can. She said she limits this boy's time at her house and watches him carefully. If he shows up and Noah is there she will make the boy go home and call first to play some other time. That's the best I could ask for!

18 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh Man!!! I am SO SORRY that you guys are having to put up with that shit.

I'm terrible at situations like that (hence I moved to the middle of nowhere) but I'll share my thoughts with you any ways. These people are NUTS, they're TROUBLE, there is no reasoning with people like that. All you can do is turn the other cheek and try to avoid them. I would call Noah's best friend's Mom and just explain the problem and that while it really makes you sad but you can't let Noah go to their house anymore (as long as they allow the other boy over) but that you'd LOVE to have their son over as often as he likes.

What does Brad think?

Anet said...

That's probably the only thing we can do. Brad said just let Noah and his friend play here. Noah really enjoys hanging out at their house, they have a club house and a tire swing. I'll call her tomorrow and explain what happened. They've been gone for the weekend. Brad was so upset that this idiot was calling Noah names and being very aggressive towards them. I'm so glad it didn't get physical! I am so close to moving to the middle of nowhere myself, if it wasn't for the opportunities that the other kids have going right now, I would!
Thanks Sharon! I really appreciate your words!

denise said...

Yeah, that is so tough.

I would definitely say to the other parents that your son cannot play at their home if the child is there...or if they allow the child to play there. If you explain he situation (including the adult stalking), and they are still timid about it, I would worry about their ability to respond in a volatile situation - and wonder if they could protect my child if anything did happen.

And, since the adult is doing bullying, I would definitely feel that there is the potential for escalation in the situation and wouldn't want to even be on their radar as a target. At all.

I want to live in the middle of nowhere, I tell ya. ;)

Good luck -that is annoying, frustrating, and creepy.

RunninL8 said...

Yikes! I'm so sorry you guys are having to deal with this. Poor Noah....martail arts, maybe?!?!?!
I agree w/ Sharon and Denise. Maybe invite the best friend and mom over and just explain it all to mom over coffee. Keep it possitive-noah loves to visit at your house, etc. but make it clear that he can't go over there if the bully is there. I'm sure she'll understand-sounds like they probably feel they are helping this kid by being good role models and keeping him away from his own crappy "family". But helping should not be done at the expense of her's or other children's safety!!!!
As for those parents, start documenting EVERY interaction. They are harassing you guys and if it continues, call the cops. They already have a "realtionship" with them!!!!
Hope it get's better soon. That's such an invasive and scarey situation to deal with.
HUGS!!!

Tara said...

We went through two situations that have similar elements to this: one with an abusive family in the rental house next door (since moved-yay!) and another with a family we homeschooled with. So, I guess it's everywhere. Both situations really taught me that there is a time to direct and to the point and to call in an appropriate third party if need be. The family next door was using drugs, there was child and animal abuse and domestic issues. We tried talking to the family first and then moved to calling the police, children's services and talking to school officials (even though our child did not attend school with theirs, those kids needed some help!). Regarding the other issue: I sent a very direct letter to the family and made it clear that neither them nor their child was to contact anyone in our family again. Ever. And then I spent a long time talking to my daughter and helping to her to make "if this, then that" plans, so she could begin to process it and feel safe. I also read a ton of books on bullying and told mutual friends that my daughter would not be able to attend events that this child would be attending. It had come to physical safety at that point.
Good luck with this. I know it's not a pleasant situation. These people sound like such morons. I bet they'll get theirs in the end. Until then, I wish you luck.

sandy said...

That is awful to be forced to deal with this kind of stuff. I am very very hot headed when it comes to my kids and when they were young, I was worse. I don't have any sane advice for you but upon reflection I'll come back if I do. I was the type who chased a kid around the playground once because he pulled a knife on my
5-year-old. I'm afraid my advice could land you in jail.

I really really feel for you. Bullies are the worse.

Anet said...

Thanks Everyone! Excellent advise. I knew I could count on you guys for some words of wisdom and encouragement! It's such a bummer that people have to be like that. I really don't blame the boy for his behavior, it's his family that's let him down. But it doesn't mean Noah has to put up with it and be in danger! It really had us shook up for a few days and we were being extra careful with the families safety. I feel a little better now. Until the next incident.
I'm sure it doesn't sit well with his parents that I don't allow Noah to play with their son, no one wants their child shunned. But I have no other choice. I gave him so many chances.
Thanks again everyone!:)

Sharon said...

Hey Anet, I'm glad you commented so that we know that everything is okay.

Sandy~ There is absolutely nothing funny about any of this but I can't help chuckling at the image of you chasing that kid around the park!!!

Anet said...

Oh Sandy, that's funny! My husband said he was glad I wasn't at the store incident or that guy might of been singing a few octaves higher than normal. If you know what I mean.
I am a mean momma bear! Gosh, you have to be nowadays!

Anet said...

I'm laughing too Sharon!

RunninL8 said...

HA! Glad I'm not the only"reactive" one!!! I'm right there with Sandy!!!

Glad things are cooling down!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Holy Crap!! Jumpins!!
You and your family, never did anything to deserve that treatment Anet.. People like that have big problems and I agree with everyone, I would do my utmost to avoid any interaction with them.... I mean what grown man with a clue picks on a little boy!!!

I am so sorry this is happening.. It is so frustrating... Some people just do not like to see other people happy...

I know how you feel but our incident was with a plumber if you can believe it.. a plumber with a giant chip on his shoulder!!!.. he freaked me out... took the money for the job ... would not stand behind his work.. ..called us everything in the book ... acted like a jerk.. treated his employee that worked with him like dirt.. ........ I was totally dumbfounded!!! I had never seen anything like it.. He was a big too... What a bully..

THEY (the Bullies)are out there!!!

All I can do to ever get any satisfaction is tell anyone who needs a plumber ... not to get him.. He threatened us and scared me to death... He had me crying like a baby on the phone... I do remember when he was working at our place that he told John, how mean his father had always been to him growing up and that he could never please him... He was so sweet when we first called him too.. I came to understand from talking to others that this is his nature and all I can hope for is that someday he will get his due...

You guys are doing the right thing Anet... That was good advise about keeping track of any more occurances and dates .. just for the record..

Anet said...

Thanks Gwen! It's just so frustrating because Noah is a nice boy. He has lots of friends and everyone; children and adults like him! So it is just so strange to have people who are negative towards him. I guess you can't please everyone! My husband thinks it has to do with jealousy on the parent's side. I know this little boy has it bad, I've heard this man yelling at him and belittling him in the yard before.
Just like your plumber, a bad childhood is so toxic to a soul. Now... I know there is ton's of people who handle a rough childhood without turning into bullies. But I think children who bully are bullied themselves by someone. So sad!

Tammy said...

Holy crap. That is bad.

I agree with runninl8: maybe some type of martial arts class. It would help boost his confidence a little and would make him feel stronger not only physically but mentally, too, if worse came to worse.

About the boyfriend.....it is actually illegal for adults to use the words he was using in public around children. You could actually have him arrested if you want. lol. BUT, my suggestion is to call the police, have them (the police) come to your home and explain the situation. Then the police could go there and remind them of your son's rights to not have to be exposed to that language and the threats being made. Oh, and also remind them that if they do that again, the boyfriend can be arrested.

We had a next door neighbor (adult) that used to yell and scream at us if we started our car before 10am and had a fit if we opened or shut our door at night. He used to use the f-word in front of my children, which at the time were very young. He really scared them, so I finally called the police. He stopped his language and threats immediately after the police visited him. Oh, and he sold his home and moved within the month. We now have very nice neighbors. ;)

Tara said...

Thanks for the update on this. I'm glad things have calmed down and you've made some headway. Take care.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Sounds good Anet... that took guts.. Good for you!!

Liz said...

Police... start reporting things to the police - and to social services. Get some people looking around in that house. I feel for Noah - he shouldn't have to deal with that crap!

Anet said...

Thank you everyone!:)

Blog Archive