Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday's Word: Vibrissae

Vibrissae/ Any of the long stiff hairs that project from the
snout or brow of most mammals, as the whiskers of a cat./
One of several long modified feathers that grow along
the gape of the mouth of insect-eating birds.

Bella and Harpo's vibrissae are white.




Boo and Sniffy's vibrissae are black.


9 comments:

Amy Bradstreet said...

Your kitties are so adorable!

Tammy said...

So that's what they are called!

Sylvia has been losing quite a few of hers lately. I wonder if that is normal. Have any of your cats ever gone through that????

RunninL8 said...

We find our kitties vibrissae all over the house.
I was going to take a pic of the hubby's nose hairs but he wouldn't let me...

Sharon said...

Yeah, I think it's normal for them to loose them. Two of my cats came from the same litter and would lay with their heads together all of the time....the one's whiskers were so long and bothersome that the other would chew them off of him. So he'd walk around with whiskers on only one side of his face.

Great pictures Anet! Harpo is just too cute for his own good.....what a sweetie!

Anet said...

Thanks everyone! I find a lone vibrissae here and there, but not too many. Harpo may be a cutie but don't let him fool you, he can be a terror! He beat up a box of tissues yesterday. I have pics. I'll post soon.
************
That's too funny runni18! That would of been a great shot!
*****************
Hey Sharon, that must be some site, a one sided vibrissae kitty!
*Note all of my "vibrissae" word usage! lol... Oh and it's funny how spell check doesn't like any of our word list!

tiff said...

Love the squirrel vibrissae...we have so many here...it actually drives us crazy! Sometimes we would like to get a hold of them and pull their vibrissae's out...ha:) nah, just kiddin'...I just wanted to use the word again!

Anet said...

Don't worry Tiff, sometimes I feel the same way when they dig up my garden beds!!:(
But I always say "It's not Sniffy, he's a good boy!" With all the peanuts buried around here you think I could start a peanut plantation!

Ruth said...

Oh I love learning a new word . . . not that I'll remember it! Vibrassae is a beautiful word, again, what a fun project.

Those vibrassae are sweet, and photographed so nicely!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Fun!!!

Blog Archive