Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Natural Way.

I've been researching green burials. It's quite fascinating! It's a natural way to bury the deceased. I know this is a little strange to think about. But I love the idea of this!
To be honest I HATE funerals, (I'm sure there's not a soul who likes them.) I have had panic attacks at them, that's how much I hate them. I want to pay my respects to anyone I know who's passed, but I just dread it! I work myself up until I'm half crazy before I even get there. My poor husband has to stick close by my side as I repeat many deep breaths, he reminds me to slow down when the breathing gets too fast. Funny thing is... I'm not afraid of death. It's just the seriousness of the whole "funeral" thing.
So I'm thinking ahead for my funeral, No... I'm not sick, well I do have a cold. I don't want my family stressing at a traditional funeral. I have been thinking for years it should just be more simple, more natural. A quiet gathering in the woods, a simple prayer or song, a few flowers, nothing fancy. My close family and friends. Everyone could come in their jeans and tee shirts. That's what I want. And afterwards a small gathering with music and dancing!
OK, maybe they won't want to dance. lol! But I'll be dancing with them if they do!
Some states already have green cemeteries and funeral homes. The green cemeteries are really cool, they look like wild flower meadows or the woods. There is a cemetery in Muir, MI that offers green burial sites. Here's a few web pages for green burials; (just in case your interested)


There are many websites, just google green burials.




Ojibwa Burial Grounds




The Ojibwa would bury their dead in a burial mound; many erect a jiibegamig or a "spirit-house" over each mound. Instead of a headstone with the decease's name inscribed upon it, a traditional burial mound would typically have a wooden marker, inscribed with the decease's doodem. ( A doodem is a native word for clan. The English turned doodem into totem. The clans are based on animals.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're promoting natural burial. Did you know there is now a green cemetery in Oakland, MI? (Muir cemetery offers state's first 'green burial' site http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080603/NEWS01/806030317/1002/NEWS01)

Pete McQuillin
Green Burial Pittsburgh
www.greenburialpittsburgh.org

Anet said...

No, I didn't know that. Thanks Pete! I'm hoping by the time I need one there will be one closer to home.

Gwen Buchanan said...

I like the Ojibwa burial ground, Anet. especially the spirit house description and visual...I learned someting too about the totem.. so that is what it is derived from.. That makes more sense to me now... Thanks, gwen

Ruth said...

Interesting, because we went to a funeral yesterday. Don and I agreed that we would just like a wake of sorts, just an informal time to sit around and talk about the deceased, and then for us: cremation! But these green burial sites are a very nice idea.

Sharon said...

I would love to be buried in a meadow like setting but at this point they'd have to schlep me to Colorado or Michigan....I wouldn't want that. Green burial sounds so much more reasonable than some enamel lined casket at a grim funeral home........ugh. I don't know what the appeal of that is?

~Molly~ said...

Interesting! I have friends who are trying to get a green cemetary on their land in Minnesota. She raises drum horses and wants to use them to pull the "hearse" to the burial location. They've since divorced but I think the plans are still there(they remain friends). I'll have to ask them about it. Oh, they are both unschoolers too, I'm on an email list with them.

Molly

Anet said...

Hey Ruth, sorry about the funeral.
I have the same plans as you right now, unless they make a green cemetery near by.
I want one of my kids to keep me in a jar. Autumn said "NO WAY!" I haven't asked the boys yet. lol
Oh... just sprinkle me in the woods somewhere!

****************************

I know! The whole funeral home thingy is the part I have to avoid! I don't like them, not at all. I went to my aunt's funeral and the funeral home guy hand me a disposable camera when I walked in the door. I'm like "What am I suppose to do with this?" He said "just take pictures." Take pictures! Take pictures of what? Are you kidding me? That was weird. I sat that camera down on the nearest table I could find!

Anet said...

Molly that's really cool, too bad about the divorce. But the green cemetery is great. A horse drawn hearse sounds so peaceful! I saw one on a website for a green cemetery and it was awesome.

Amy Bradstreet said...

I've been researching this a bit also. (I'm loving your blog as well, Anet--it looks like we have many things in common). Anywho, since my mother died at the end of April, I've been thinking a lot about options. What an interesing post, many thanks for it.

Blog Archive