I am from hand me downs, from Pepsi in a glass bottle and watching the Waltons, rollerskating every Saturday night, sleep overs with my best friends and playing in the woods all day.I am from the two story house with a ghost, in the middle of the block from the middle of Michigan.
I am from my grandmother's pumpkin patch and hollyhocks taller than my dad that we used to make dolls from.
I am from Italian food at Christmas and 6 loud siblings, vacations at Lake Michigan, I am from Charles J. and Alice May and Luciano and Dumeney clans.
I am from the mom who runs the roost, a dad that worked very hard and me hating to sit in a classroom all day.
I am from Italian food at Christmas and 6 loud siblings, vacations at Lake Michigan, I am from Charles J. and Alice May and Luciano and Dumeney clans.

I am from the mom who runs the roost, a dad that worked very hard and me hating to sit in a classroom all day.
From summers that seemed to move in slow motion and trucks that would spray for mosquitoes at two am.
I am from" there's a boogie mad man that lives down the street" and "a witch two doors down". I am from a Catholic father and non religious mother.
I'm from Lansing Michigan, from my father's big Italian family and my mom's big French Canadian family, from spaghetti Wednesdays, lemon ice, banana bread, no bake cookies, tuna noodle casserole, goulash and slo poke suckers.
From the father who served valiantly during WWII, the grandmother with the hugest heart and the brother who is mentally challenged and can make a friend with anyone.
I am from the antique trunk , the photo hanging in the hallway, the top of the closet and the box in the attic.
I am from" there's a boogie mad man that lives down the street" and "a witch two doors down". I am from a Catholic father and non religious mother.
I'm from Lansing Michigan, from my father's big Italian family and my mom's big French Canadian family, from spaghetti Wednesdays, lemon ice, banana bread, no bake cookies, tuna noodle casserole, goulash and slo poke suckers.
From the father who served valiantly during WWII, the grandmother with the hugest heart and the brother who is mentally challenged and can make a friend with anyone.
I am from the antique trunk , the photo hanging in the hallway, the top of the closet and the box in the attic.

Found this at Molly's blog. You can find out how to write your own story here.




15 comments:
Wow! I'll do it on Friday and you are NOT going to believe how many of our answers are the same!!! I've gotta go put the geese to bed but will reread it again later...... :)
...this is great...i might have to give it a go...but it will have to wait until later this week...when i get some alone time...to think...ha:)
thanks for sharing your story.
Wonderful Anet! I love your story too. It does take time(I was mega-multi-tasking when I wrote mine out) and as I reread it I find gaps but I'm not going to fill them in.
We had a mosquito fogger too but he came around at dusk. Us dumb kids would get out there and play right after he passed too. Its a wonder we don't all have brain damage or cancer now.
Molly
I can't wait to read yours Sharon! :)
***************
Time for yourself with twins and moving! That will be a trick Tiff.
I've been wondering where your home town is, it will be great to read all about you!
***************
Thanks again Molly for another fun thing to do! I had to go back a few time a fix things on mine.
You guys had the mosquito fogger too! Isn't that just awful? What were they thinking??? I can remember my mom running around the house shutting all the windows in the middle of the night! That probably saved us a few brain cells! lol...
I was wondering where Autumn picked up Luciano from and now I know!
Things we have in common:
~hand me downs
~The Waltons
~2 story house in the middle of the block in Michigan
~A Mom who rules the roost
~A hard working Dad
~Slow motion summers
~goulash and slow pokes!
Thanks for sharing more about yourself........I really enjoyed it!
Wow... that's a lot of stuff in common and some how we found each other in cyber world in other parts of the country! Very cool!!!
My dad always bought home a hand full of slow pokes from the drugstore. I guess they were prefect for slow motion summers! I wonder if they make them anymore?
I should google them. hehehehe.....
I did google them and made a link to a candy shop that sells them along with lots of other "the good old days" candy. I guess they are spelled as "Slo Pokes" and they are $8.99 for 48ct. of them. whoa... that's a lot of suckers. If I ate one a year, it would last me the rest of my life. lol!!
Anet, I loved this... so romantic and real...
rag bag clothes... houses burning down... father who made insoles for his shoes with newspaper to cover the holes in the soles of his shoes... backyard chickens... making mudcakes under the porch and decorating them with daisies... orange pop and a chocolate bar on a friday night... had to go to church but all I remember was touching/feeling the onionskin like paper in the prayer books and the beautiful timbers in the arches at the peak of the very tall ceiling...singing to my chickens... small house with plywood floors and ice on the windows... my dad always smiling and singing "You are my sunshine" to me....
I agree Anet, one is enough!!!
This is weird, but I sat down to do this meme and it is much harder that I thought it would be.........I really try hard not to be a negative person (or at least to keep that tendency in check) yet all of my responses were hateful. It's not that I'm unaware of that aspect of my feelings toward my childhood but just surprised that I wasn't able to transcend it. I guess I'm just not ready to own that part of myself... so I'll take a pass on this one, although I REALLY enjoyed reading yours and Molly's!
Gwen, lovely memories! I loved that your dad lined his shoes with newspaper.
Another memory from your comment is my mom putting plastic bread sacks in my winter boots to help keep my feet dry and wearing socks for mittens!
My kids would of never have stood for that!
And we made mud cakes too, with dandelions for decorations!
You were so lucky to have chickens to sing too!
******************
Sharon, I'm sorry that you struggled with this.:( I tend to forget about the bad stuff and hang on to the good stuff. My oldest sister and one of my brothers are the opposite.
It was fun finding out how many things we have in common though!
A couple more are the bread sacks in my boots and the mud and dandelion pies! :)
Are you sure your not a Luciano?
I love this, Anet! I haven't looked at the meme yet, but it flows very well as an expose of your past and your roots. I want to reread in a while.
This is so cool-thanks for the link!
This is beautiful! I saved the link in my favorites and plan to use it on my own blog someday.
I loved the images it brought to me. :)
Love it!
Post a Comment