Friday, June 6, 2008

Felting With Wool.

Yesterday was hot and muggy, so what did I do?
Played with wool and very sharp needles!


Natural Wool Roving




Very sharp felting needle.





This is what I came up with. And about 10 pokes in my finger tips! No blood, just sore fingers tips. It's pretty fun, I've always love sculpting things. The felting needle has very tiny barbs on it, you can't even see them. It weaves the wool together and it become firmer, like a plush toy. The more poking the more detailed sculpting you can do. I worked on top of a small firm pillow. My kitten was fascinated with the wool. He kept bugging me yesterday. Today he stole the mushroom and was playing soccer with it. I took it away and put them up on the mantel. I will make Harpo he's own wool kitty ball today. I also sewed Autumn a beach tote bag for her trip to Coney Island.

It's 10:00 am and already 79 degrees. That's Michigan for you... Freezing one day and hotter than Hades the next. The saying here is "If you don't like the weather in Michigan, just wait 5 minutes!"


19 comments:

Tammy said...

Our kitties are thiefs too. Naughty kitties! :)

I'm going to needle felt a ball for them to play with and put a little jingly bell and some catnip inside. I hope they don't destroy it.....

Tammy said...

By the way, if you don't mind I think I might use your idea with the owl and make one for Kayla's birthday coming up.

All 3 of your creations are sure cute.

RunninL8 said...

Those rock for a first time effort! Kneedle felting is so satisfying to me.

Yeah, my cats are coo-coo for thefelted wool-they've tooled on my poor little chickie puppet that I made at Easter! Actuallly, it looks better now! They fluffed it up! I should post an "after" pic and get peoples opinions!
Stay cool/warm.

Anet said...

Great Tammy, I didn't know you felted! Please feel free, you can always make anything on my blog.
Maybe after some practice, I won't poke myself so much! But it sure is fun:) (the felting, not the poking.)

Anet said...

Wow, another felter!!! Yeah... my mushroom looks fluffy too after Harpo played with it.
I will get busy on that kitty ball.

Anet said...

Oh, I like to see your "after" pic of your chickie.

~Molly~ said...

HOW CUTE!!!! I've got felt, I've got needles, but I haven't started anything yet because I don't know what to do. Yesterday I came across a tutorial video from somewhere(hope I saved it) so I do have a better clue now though.

Molly, off to soak in the tub, its already one of "those" days at 9:34am

Sharon said...

You'd think I've been living in a cave or something......I've never heard of needle felting (despite a couple of fibers classes in college)! Very cool, and just thing for a hot stick day! :) Now I'm curious.... something else to add to my list of things to explore.
Thanks! They're adorable!

Sharon said...

wow I need to proof read! That's supposed to read
just the thing for a hot sticky day!

Anet said...

Hey Molly, I think I saw the same
tutorial, about making sheep, yes?
Have fun!

******************************

Sharon, It's so fun, but painful at first. Maybe I'm just a klutz or something. It's weird, the needle really hurts when you jab your finger, but no blood. hmmmm. Maybe I've finally morphed into a zombie. (do zombies have blood?)
Anyways, you should give it a try.
OK, I'm off to make kitty balls. heehee....

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hey Anet, very fun!! I was just going to say I never heard of felting that way... but Sharon beat me to it!! I felted before but very differently than that.. If I remember correctly I did a lot of rubbing in hot and cold sudsy water...made fabric for a vest ... and other flat work..

is the needle felting only for 3 dimensional?

Good thing they aren't here the dogs would have them eaten in no time... just found another demolished stuffed toy when I went downstairs this morning...

Anet said...

Hi Gwen, there is felting with the needles to make pictures, you start with the felted material like you made, then felt something on it using the needles.
I'm sure that would be less finger poking! My fingers hurt today, I can barely type. Maybe with practice I'll get better.
It's quite fascinating to watch the wool take shape!

Cloudberry said...

The owl is very cute!

Ruth said...

I'm with Sharon and Gwen on not having heard of this before. Those are adorable, but ouch! My daughter has felted lots of things, but not 3D like this.

Yes, today even hotter, eh? But at least the breeze is nice and carries away any humidity.

I haven't looked ahead for the weekend yet . . .

~Molly~ said...

Yep Anet, that's the one! A mom and her daughter felt a sheep(or three) on their porch.

Ruth and Gwen, yes you can apply the roving to another piece of felt. I've got a huge tub of sweaters that I felted earlier this spring and have been experimenting with them and the roving. There is a special tool for this, looks like a large rectangular baby brush. You lay the background piece of fabric(felt) on it and use another special tool that has 4 or 5 needles in it(and a protective cover) to punch the roving through it. The brush keeps the delicate needles from getting broken. Not sure I'm brave enough to hold a wad of roving in my hand and go at it with a single needle, yikes!

Molly

Anet said...

Ugh! Spent the day at the hospital with my mom, she'll have to stay a few days. She started to retain a bunch of water and it was getting up in her lungs, maybe her heart. She's doing ok, they did lots of test and gave her I.V. meds to get rid of the water. Shes been having so much trouble with that lately. I'm sure her heart is fine. I hope.

Sharon said...

I'm so sorry Anet. Even though she is expected to be fine it's still got to be stressful for all of you. My thoughts are with you......

Gwen Buchanan said...

Sorry to hear this Anet;I really hope your mom is going to be ok. I'm sure she has comfort knowing that she has a very caring daughter...xox

Anet said...

Thanks Sharon and Gwen, I get worried about her shes 82yrs. old My kids and I are so close to her. Well.... I just worry.

Blog Archive