Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Some Beautiful Ojibwa Words

Zahgidiwin = Love, Ninoodoiwin= Harmony, Gwayahkooshkawin=Balance,
Zeegwung=Spring, Babamadizwin= Journey, Ishpiming= Universe, Gitigan= Garden, Odayin= Heart, Binoojiing= Child, Gi Zah Gin! = I Love You!

Two different Powwow's.
M.S.U and the Riverfront.
There are some rules of photographing at powwows, no photos during certain songs and ceremonies and if you want a close up of someone you should ask permission first. Megwetch!
(Thank you!)

The last picture is of my mother-in-law Yvonne greeting her sister, Aunt Gloria. Some of my favorite Ojibwa Indians! We have great fun at the powwows, the kids love fry bread and Indian tacos. I love shopping the boothes for jewelry, beads, feathers, and some dried sage or sweet grass. The sights, sounds and smells are amazing!

21 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

The colors, patterns and movements... beautiful...
Do you know the whole Ojibwa language...
Thanks for sharing those chosen words...

Way back in John's ancestry there is Indian blood... on his paternal grandmothers side... but too far back for him to be considered native

Sharon said...

We live near the Crow reservation and could easily attend a Powwow but I never had the confidence to know if we would be welcome or just intruders...you know if it would be an unwelcome intrusion....
Thanks for the Babamadizwin.

Sharon said...

Did I reiterate the unwelcome intrusion them enough?! Geez, I need to proof read. :)

Sharon said...

Theme NOT them ...ugh!

Anet said...

Hi Gwen, I too have some Indian blood way back. My husband is half blood and my children are 1/4 blood. They receive free college. We just pay course fees and books for Autumn. What a blessing that is!

Tammy said...

I'm also wondering if you know the whole language, or if you are learning these words.

These really are beautiful words you shared in this post.

And Indian tacos and fry bread.....YUM! :)

Anet said...

Hey Sharon,

The Powwows we go to, welcomes everyone! They invite the non-natives out to dance. Many Native Americans are married to different nationalities now. Like my mother-in-law, Brad's dad is Scottish. I'm sure the Crows share the same hospitality as the Ojibwa. You could maybe research it on the Internet and find out about their Powwows. They are so fantastic to attend. I hope you can go someday, Goth would love it! (Native boys are super cute!) LOL

Anet said...

Sorry Gwen, I forgot to answer this part, and Tammy...
Caleb and Noah have been studying Ojibwa for homeschooling. Caleb has been more involved when he was younger. He's been to Native camp a couple of times for a week. He cried when he had to come home. He said he was in touch with his spirit and was totally free there!
Drumming, sweat lodge, art, dancing, language classes and tons of culture. Too bad, because of lack of funding, no more camps!

Anet said...

Just learning words, Caleb is pretty good with the whole diction/pronunciation part, must be the native in him. lol

Ruth said...

Oh, that's really sad about the camp.

I'm an adviser at MSU, and I'm always trying to get my students to study Ojibwa - I thought it was spelled with an e at the end, I'll have to change that. I love that we teach it here and that my students, who need 2 years of a foreign language, can study two whole years of it.

Anet said...

You're right Ruth, it can be spelled different ways; Ojibwa, Ojibway, Ojibwe, and Chippewa. I'm not to sure why all of the spell differences. My husbands family spells it Ojibwa. Chippewa and Ojibwa are the same people.

It's so fantastic the MSU offers Ojibwa language classes. I'm hoping Caleb will take them someday. Our neighbor is really encouraging Caleb to attend MSU.
You may know her Dr. Pamela Belemy.
We just love her, the sweetest lady on plant earth!

Anet said...

Opps...(spelling difference)

Oh, isn't kind of funny that it's considered a foreign language? It's not foreign, it's native! lol

Anet said...

Hey Ruth, I spelled my neighbor's name wrong it's spelled Bellamy and I didn't mention that she works at the college.

Ruth said...

Anet, you're right about 'foreign'! But what's great about categorizing it that way is that our students can fulfill their requirement with it!!

And HELLO!! I worked for Pam Bellamy for 7 years in her Talent Search office. MY GOD, she's your neighbor!!! Just tell her Ruth, her former secretary, is talking to you on your blog, and she will squeal!! Yes, she is the most fantastic, most inspiring woman ever! She allowed me release time so I could finish my BA, and then I was able to get a better job - outside her office. So it meant leaving her and her wonderful self. Please please give her a big SQUEEZE from me next time you see her (but how does anyone squeeze HER when she gives the biggest bestest squeezes of anyone in the world?)! I was thinking of Pam the other day and thinking I needed to have lunch with her . . .

Ruth said...

Oh, and I believe Pam has Chippewa in her blood? Not sure if that is the right tribe. But that's why she and her sister have such wonderful high cheekbones. :)

Anet said...

Wow, I can't believe you know Pam so well! She is a fantastic person.
And yes, she does have native blood too. She loves my kids and they love her! She is so good to them! Caleb walked her dog for her and she paid him way too much for it! Every time she travels to Africa and in the states she brings us gifts, especially for Noah. And you're right about her hugs! I'll tell her when I see her that we are blogger friends. But I don't see her much, that lady works like crazy!!!
She never has much time so we help her out, yard work and such. The other day I planted some lilies for her that I had extras of.
It's a small world, isn't it?

Ruth said...

Wow, is it ever! She's truly one of the angels on earth, just a heart as big and gold as they come. Oh, her dog, what is his name . . .

And then there's her sense of humor! She is CRAZY funny.

Anet said...

Pam's dog Maggie and the new one is Angus. She is crazy funny!!

World Wide Alternative said...

I wish there was some fandangle way you could record those words so we could hear them.
There's gotta be a way...(wanders of into the distance muttering...)Xxx

~Molly~ said...

Anet, speaking of "native" languages, do you like Joanne Shenandoah's music? She's Iroquois but sings like a siren. I LOVE her music.

Molly

btw, I started working on your project tonight! Might take me a few weeks to get it done though.

Anet said...

Hey Bex, If only I could hear you speak Japanese!! That would be awesome. You're off to OZ soon!
Then you could share with us about the natives there, that's so cool!


Hi Molly, I haven't heard of her, but Native music is so moving! I just love it. I set aside the two necklaces for you. Don't work to hard, you need to take it easy!

Blog Archive